Anemone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finished my cycle about a month ago and was planning on buying a occlaris Clown fish. I haven't gotten any live stock yet other than corals but I was wondering if the anemone would be good to be added in when I get the clownfish this weekend. Any help would be appreciated, I was planning on getting a bulb anemone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No nems need mature stable tanks. Usually you want to wait 6-8 months before getting one.

Also just because you are getting a clown does not mean it will host the nem. My clown hosted my torch and I have a rose bubble tip nem in the tank but he preferred the torch. I'd decide if you really want the nem of are just getting it hoping the clown will host it.

Finally, nems need intense lighting. How bigs the system and what kind of lighting?

No nems need mature stable tanks. Usually you want to wait 6-8 months before getting one.

Also just because you are getting a clown does not mean it will host the nem. My clown hosted my torch and I have a rose bubble tip nem in the tank but he preferred the torch. I'd decide if you really want the nem of are just getting it hoping the clown will host it.

Finally, nems need intense lighting. How bigs the system and what kind of lighting?

I have a 20 gallon long tank and a current USA orbit LED light.

If I gave a recommendation I would say that light isn't capable of sustaining an anemone for long. The fixture itself is nice for the money but it's not really a powerful unit and I don't think the anemone will get what it needs from it.

The lighting, the materiality of the tank and the the size of the tank are not a suitable environment for a nem. With a 20 gallon parameter swings will be too much to keep a nem. They must have a mature stable tank with good lighting. How do you know when your talk is stable, when you no longer test any more. MY 125 is 7 years old with a lot of RBTA and GBT and I am lucky to test once every 3-4 months. Good lighting, high water volume and week water changes with RODO with good filters. And no I do not recommend not testing, but once your tank is mature and you know it inside and out, your inhabitants will tell you when something is off, like in 2 years or more

I agree with every one on tho light not being enough to sustain nems. But once you upgrade to a unit that is capable, and let the tank mature, you can add more than 2 btas. Their are plenty of all Nem tanks, but I would stick to one species to be safe, or separate into ones that like being in the sand bed like RFAs and fill the rock work with BTAs

Back
Top Bottom