Anemone Malu not settling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SophiaG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!
I have a 10 gallon tank and got an Anemone Malu almost a month ago.
It doesn't move around and finds a spot, it stays in one spot but doesn't settle down. Sometimes even lays on its side. It is on a sandy ground so I don't know what else to do.
It also gets food once a week.
I have one other coral and that one is doing fine so I don't know why it's not settling.
Please help me out!
Thank you

Usually don't settle as not happy with conditions in the tank. What's the parameters and what lighting, flow etc?

When anemone move, they aren't happy. Photosynthetic anemone don't require to be fed, and the very process of trying to digest food can stress them as well. I would look at the parameters in your tank to ensure they are stable and pristine. The lighting also needs to be pretty intense so it can make the energy required for it to survive.
In terms of it laying on its side, turn off your powerheads to try to help it get its foot planted rather than getting blown around.
If you tell us more about your parameters and lighting, we might be able to help assess the issue further.

Agree with all the others, but to give more insight, in a 10 gal tank, there is only 1 or 2 flow areas, and apparently neither is suitable for it, I have 9 nems and they all are in a 1 foot section of a 6 foot tank, as that is the the only place that has the perfect flow area. A10 gal tank doesn't give them a choice

Thank you for helping me out!
All my parameters are fine, I checked it and also got it checked through my store. They say everything is looking good, the one thing that is not at 0 is phosphate, which I am working on right now.
I will not feed the anemone for a while and see if it gets settled then.
I will also try to turn the flow a different way to maybe make the water more stable where it is at.
I have two different blues and a white light which I have at 50% the whole day… Should I bump it up to 70%, would that maybe help?
is there anything else I can do?
Thank you! :)

I have two different blues and a white light which I have at 50% the whole day… Should I bump it up to 70%, would that maybe help?

What kind of light is this? T5HO? VHO? LED? It might not be intense enough for an anemone...and is a likely reason for him continuing to travel around the tank.

I have Led! I am pretty sure the light is bright enough if I turn it up more! :) so I'll so that!
Thank you

Hahah no I don't want that to happen!
I have the aquaillumination nano light!
I can control two different blue lights, one called blue and the other royal blue! And a cool white light!
It is specifically for corals!
I have it at 50% during the day :)
And I don't know what more to say :(

I have eheim Ecco pro! I don't know exactly where to direct the flow... How much flow does the anemone need?!

Your only form of flow is coming from a canister filter? I'd want a small powerhead in there to give some flow and help circulate oxygen better through my tank. I'd say that and the young age of the tank are the reason for him not settling. A small tank like this can be a struggle to keep parameters in check where they need to be for an anemone, which is pristine. A young tank can swing parameters quickly, which is why it is normally recommended you wait a minimum of 6 months to a year before attempting an anemone. Malu anemone, which is just a rarer form of sebae anemone, are difficult anemone to keep that struggle with acclimating themselves to a new home.

Yes! Ok, then I'll check into getting a powerhead! Thank you very much for helping me and trying to figure out the issue I am having with my anemone! I will try to fix that up with the flow and the powerhead, hope that it will fix my problem :)
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom