Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some pics of my anemone

Attachment 87347

Attachment 87348

Attachment 87349

Attachment 87351

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Oh man!! I may go get it today then!!

Is a hour slow drip acclimation good enough. I once did a 3 hour drip to all my CUC and was told it was way too long. I isn't know, was just starting out so I didn't know any better.

Took Better pics, I turned the lights up for a minute.
Three things: Drip acclimation has nothing to do with light acclimation. Light acclimation is starting a coral in lower light i.e the sandbed and gradually moving it up to a higher more intensely lit position.

Second, corals don't need to be drip acclimated like other livestock, maybe a 15 minute float if the corals were in a bag for an hour or more, but dripping isn't necessary. You may want to do a coral dip into something like CoralRX to kill nasties.

Third: one warning I will give from personal experience is that bubble corals are very sensitive to water conditions and too much flow. Anytime my water was off, the bubble wouldn't look good. Then unfortunately, I messed up when installing an MP10 and cranked the flow too high and I damaged the coral badly. It is in recovery, but looks terrible.

Here is a pic of mine before:

Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I agree with above, but I would still drip acclimate. I have continued to do more and more reading as I have had corals up and die on me 24 hours after purchase. The more I read, the more I have found statements discussing drip acclimation and the benefits. It isn't necessary, as I have thrown corals in once they floated in the bag for awhile and they have been fine. Just now that I have experienced problems, I am working towards helping them stay happy and healthy as much as I can.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF

Three things: Drip acclimation has nothing to do with light acclimation. Light acclimation is starting a coral in lower light i.e the sandbed and gradually moving it up to a higher more intensely lit position.

Second, corals don't need to be drip acclimated like other livestock, maybe a 15 minute float if the corals were in a bag for an hour or more, but dripping isn't necessary. You may want to do a coral dip into something like CoralRX to kill nasties.

Third: one warning I will give from personal experience is that bubble corals are very sensitive to water conditions and too much flow. Anytime my water was off, the bubble wouldn't look good. Then unfortunately, I messed up when installing an MP10 and cranked the flow too high and I damaged the coral badly. It is in recovery, but looks terrible.

Here is a pic of mine before:
Thanks for the tips brother. Your looks really nice!! Man I want one soooo bad. There open. I'll give it a shot.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have never EVER drip acclimated a coral. The only corals I acclimate are SPS. When I say acclimate, I actually mean take them out of all water and leave them on the side for 10 minutes before putting them into my DT.

I've not lost a coral yet, other than a sun coral that just became too much of a chore to feed and a candy cane that got stung into next week by a bubble coral. Both were nothing to do with not acclimating.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I agree with above, but I would still drip acclimate. I have continued to do more and more reading as I have had corals up and die on me 24 hours after purchase. The more I read, the more I have found statements discussing drip acclimation and the benefits. It isn't necessary, as I have thrown corals in once they floated in the bag for awhile and they have been fine. Just now that I have experienced problems, I am working towards helping them stay happy and healthy as much as I can.
Quite true, it certainly can't hurt!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question.

It's a the LFS and in a tank that has 4 AI SOL BLUE LED units. I have 1 in my BC 29. Should I still light acclimate it? And is $49.99 a good price? It's a nice size. I'd say a baseball size and is really really full at least in his tank. It looks like its gonna pop!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine is about 6" fully opened and I paid $40. I would still make sure to acclimate, especially since you are lighting a coral 6" under the light compared with 12-18 in the LFS tank.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
Mine is about 6" fully opened and I paid $40. I would still make sure to acclimate, especially since you are lighting a coral 6" under the light compared with 12-18 in the LFS tank.
Ok will do. The fixture has a acclimation setting I believe I'll just set it to that.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've never drip acclimated a coral either. I just float the bag for 20 minutes and then add it to the tank.

Tags
anemone, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com