Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Well, it's def not good, but if it was inflated, that's a good sign. Just keep a close eye on it for deterioration.
Good luck with it J.
Good luck wasnt enough I pulled him this morning.. i will try again in a few months.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Good luck wasnt enough I pulled him this morning.. i will try again in a few months.
Sorry for the loss but you probably did the right thing. If you were seeing the insides then it was most likely on its way out.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what my old nem did when it died. Sorry for the loss. To make it worse when I was trying to get it out my eel bit me lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry you lost it...like Schism already said, it was probably best to pull it before it fouled your tank. I've never heard too many instances where once the mouth was agape for an extended period, that it came back. Seems to be the last sign, before death.
Maybe next time, try a BTA. They seem to have a better track record than most.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well thank you guys for the kind words.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

My suggestion is 1) unless you know that an anemone is fragged from another already in captivity, or split from one in captivity, don't buy it; 2) unless you know exactly what #1 needs in terms of light, and care, and your tank can provide for it, don't buy it; 3) unless the person selling it knows the answers to #2, don't buy it.
LTA's can get BIG, live well over a foot wide given proper conditions.
Anemones can live for 30+ years in the ocean. These creatures do not belong in captive tanks.
I will add to the above that feeding an anemone too much or too often can also hasten its demise. They expend a lot of energy digesting the food that falls into them the in the wild or is offered by their hosting clown fish.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d

My suggestion is 1) unless you know that an anemone is fragged from another already in captivity, or split from one in captivity, don't buy it; 2) unless you know exactly what #1 needs in terms of light, and care, and your tank can provide for it, don't buy it; 3) unless the person selling it knows the answers to #2, don't buy it.
LTA's can get BIG, live well over a foot wide given proper conditions.
Anemones can live for 30+ years in the ocean. These creatures do not belong in captive tanks.
I will add to the above that feeding an anemone too much or too often can also hasten its demise. They expend a lot of energy digesting the food that falls into them the in the wild or is offered by their hosting clown fish.
Thanks for heads up wasnt beating the horse provided insight that wasnt already discussed.

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com