Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-06-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
anemone question

HI again,

My wife and I are torn about weither to get an anemone or not. We know the perc clowns we have would be happy but we're not sure about the other livestock. I know once you put an anemone into the tank, it'll move around until it finds a place it likes & then pretty much stay put. We're worried about the other corals/stuff in the tank. Those being a pipe organ coral, a leather toadstool (both are sitting on top of our LR) & the feather duster (which is nicely situated in the LS).

Would it best for the anemone to put it on the sand bed & let it find where it wants to go or put it on the LR? I'm leaning towards the sand bed but I'm worried about the feather duster. I don't want to anemone to kill the duster. We also considered getting frogspawn or hammer coral but we're worried that the percs will want to get into it before it gets adjusted & kill it.

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I do not recommend an anemone. A frogspawn or large hairy mushroom will host your clowns just fine. Both are hardy corals and will not be bothered much by the clowns. Many corals available for our hobby are fragged or tank propogated. Do your best to purchase only tank raised corals in order to discourage the decimation of the world's coral reefs. Some experts claim that at the current rate of destruction, the world's coral reefs will be dead in one generation. It is our responsibility as reef hobbyists to preserve both our hobby and the natural habitat of our charges.
Which brings me to why I don't recommend anemones. Most are wild caught since very few can be or are tank propogated. An anemone can live hundreds of years in the wild. In fact, without predation or disease, they are immortal. Most anemones (with few exceptions) are dead within months of being introduced to an aquarium. Many are damaged during collection, some succumb to novice errors in there care. They are not required for one to enjoy the symbiotic relationship anemones have with clown fish since many other hardy corals will do.
If you simply must have one, please purchase a tank raised Bubble Tip (Entacmaea quadricolor) anemone. That way you are not taking one from the ocean.

Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks Mark,

We were hoping you'd reply, that's my husband that posted that, we have been so torn as to weither we should or not, so far we bought tank raised percs, I don't know about the pipe organ or the leather but we have looked at the other sites that are tank raised corals and are really leaning towards that way, not thrilled about the shipping but are willing to pay if it is a good coral. We probably won't go with an anemone then, was thinking the frogspawn though and love the hairy mushrooms. Right now one of our Percs likes to hang out under the leather but thte other just swims on the side of the tank looking board with an exception to checking himself out in the reflection in the glass. Thank you so much for the advice and all your help. :P
New2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com