Anemone Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any way to stop anemone from moving to the power head suction part? I don't know why but they like to go there. BTW why my anemone tip is turning red? Its actually white in colour. And I have a clarkii clown and maroon clown in my tank, they fought for 1st day when I just place in the clarkii, but now its gradually decrease, so my question is, if I were to place in one more anemone (the one before is with the maroon), would the maroon take both two? Because I want the clarkii to have one for its own.

Cover your ph intakes with a sponge that will help the anemone. As far as two anemones, I've tried this before with 2 maroon clowns. I got the second one about a week after the first with their own anemones and the first clown took both anemones and tried to beat up the new clown. So I had to take out the old clown and put him in another tank.

If I cover the power head with a sponge, it could help out the anomone from being sucking in, but if the anemone still wrapped around the sponge, is'nt the powerhead gonna burst? Because it cannot suck water in.

is'nt the powerhead gonna burst? Because it cannot suck water in.

Nah, when you put the sponge on it there are bunches of holes for the powerhead to get water through, the anemone just likes the water flow, and they don't understand the danger until it's too late. I lost one in my powerhead and then took a "heater guard" and stuck to the bottom of my powerhead and I have not had 1 get stuck on it since. :D

ya I lost a duster to same thing powerhead got him.Sponges sound like the answer to that.

If your anemone continues to move around, it does not like the conditions it is in. What kind of anemone? What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of current?

IMO, I would not add another anemone until you make your first one happier.

One other caution no one else has mentioned is that you are mixing clowns which is usually not a good idea especially if one is a Maroon. I believe conventional wisdom is that if you have a maroon you should only have one and no other clowns unless you get an actual pair of maroon clowns. Maroons are naturally very aggressive especially toward other clowns. Of course their are always exceptions.

BTW, what type of anenome do you have? Some clowns only take to certain kinds of anenome. I believe a maroon prefers a bubble tip or long tentical.

I don't really know how to identify anemones, mine looks like bubble tips, but some times the tentacles looks tiny, some times look fat. I saw those pictures of bubble tips anemone at liveaquaria.com, but their are a lot fatter than mine. And their colour looks like luminous green, but mine look like dirty green, like colour of grass. BTW the clarkii and maroon are not fighting any more, I did had a close look at them from the 1st day I place the clarkii in.

How to see whether the health of an anemone is good or bad? Someone said its by its mouth, is it true? If its true, how to see?

There are several indicators for health in an anemone but the mouth is generally the best indicator other than color. In the center disc of the anemone you will find it's mouth opening. If that is tightly closed then the animal will be in somewhat good shape. Loose or gaping will mean it is not healthy or stressed to some degree. The color should also be vibrant depending on species. There is only one form of white anemone (a carpet species) so white will definately indicate poor health.

HoopsGuru said:
If your anemone continues to move around, it does not like the conditions it is in. What kind of anemone? What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of current?
You have not provided any info in this regard. It would greatly help determine what's wrong if you did.

Cheers
Steve

From what I have heard not that well... The conventional wisdom seems to be that they are just as tough if not harder with some species than SPS.

Doan

Hmm, my maroon really took both anemone, the clarkii did'nt seems tp bother about the new anemone when I just place in and thus let the maroon took it. Is green bubble tip anemone not suitable for clarkii? Or clarkii does not like anemone? Is there any way I can help the clarkii to goes into one of them?

Clarkii's will host in a BTA just fine. The only thing is, if it wants to. Even though you get the right host for the fish, there is never a guarantee they will pair up. It can take a few seconds to months. There is nothing I would recommend to entice them other than being patient.

My skunk clowns went to the ritteri seconds after placing them in the tank while my A. percula took 6 months to take to the sebae anemone in a different tank. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom