Anemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to know on a 125, right now I have LR with fish. However, I have 2 clowns that I would love to get an anemone for. I not this is not necessary but I want one. My tank has been set up since last Nov and have always had my water parameters at 0 for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. PH is 8.2 to 8.4. The problem I have been told is I don’t have enough lighting. I have 2 RO Flor that give me 80 watts total. How many watts do I need for a basic easy to keep anemone? I have 2 local big SW fish stores that tell me this is enough but others tell me its not. However, when I visit the store, I see anemones under regular RO lights and they are fine. Just a little confused….

Hmmm first off what kind of clowns do you have? Some clowns only host certain anemones where as clarkiis will host just about any anemone. 80 watts on a 125 is not even close to enough. RO = regular output? If so this is what im running on my 125, and its weak. You could get a Bubble tip anemone (there the most hardy in many aquarists opinions) I think 500 watts of PC would do the trick, or dual 250 watt metal hallides. All anemones may look good, (in one piece, tentacles spread) A lot has to do with their color. White anemones = bleached. Avoid these, you want anemones that are dark in color. Like I said you would do best with a bubble tip anemone, and some of the carpet anemones do very well, but most carpets need MH to live long. Sebaes, Long tentacle, and many other anemones are very difficult to sustain for long periods of time. I suggest you do some reading on anemone care and requirements, so you get off to a good start.

Yes RO=Regualr output. I have 2 false perc....I have been told that bubble tip and carpet would be the best way to go. And yes I am doing some reading on them as I dont buy anything before making sure I can make it live. I dont have that kind of $$ or time to be wasting. 500 watts....thats a TON!! How can I shove that much light into my canopy?? What would you suggest for PC lights and how much do these cost???

I have a 125 gal tank also, I got (3) 250 watt MH now..up from (2) 175 watt MH.
Also have an additional 160 watts of antinic. They are a bit expensive, and I had to build a canopy for my tank to house the lighting. I also added a few "other" features to my canopy.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom