Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what lighting are you using?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, it's a LED home made job. When I bought the whole thing I thought it would be fine. It's plenty bright and has the blue also. Well after a little reading I see now that bright doesn't always cut it. I've been debating (for about 5 days) getting a new LED or T5 HO light. Just don't know if I need a 4 bulb or a 6 for the T5. Plus they are so dang expensive. Seems like everyone has different opinions and I don't want to spend the money to find out what I bought isn't right.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Ahh...lol. 10 DKH. Normal range.
Why do you think the PH is up? Are you adding anything to the tank? Supplements?
I haven't added anything. I'm guessing I need a new test kit and a new LFS. The guy there talked me into buying this little test kit (test strips) and says its what they use.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lighting could be a big problem. I've never owned a nem, but I know their lighting requirements are up there with clams and sps.
Judging by what you've said, your lighting is probably insufficient. Not sure how quickly that would have killed him though.
If you go t5, I think you would need at least six bulbs. If you go LED, a lot of people rave about taotronics. I know mr X and Gregcoyote both use taotronics for SPS.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Toss the test strips and get a liquid test kit for sure. Strips are not accurate for SW tanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmye4fish View Post

I haven't added anything. I'm guessing I need a new test kit and a new LFS. The guy there talked me into buying this little test kit (test strips) and says its what they use.
Get rid of those test strips they are the worst for accuracy!! Most use API, but a lot of hobbyists say Red Sea is a much more accurate kit.

As for lighting you'll prolly want at least a 6 bulb T5HO, or maybe metal halides (that's what I run on my 130 gallon). I can't speak for LEDs as those are something I've not used yet. I do know they are cheaper in the long run, and life expectancy is longer.

http://www.aquacon.com/CoralifeAqualightPro250.html
This is the light I currently run.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Willbrats, those lights look amazing but $1000? WOW! I've been looking at lights and very skeptical of the ones on eBay that are a no name brand. I'm sure some are prob fine I just hate to waste money. I guess I will look for a 6 bulb T5 HO.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh and the test strips will be going in the trash tonight. I will be getting a real test kit tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmye4fish View Post
Willbrats, those lights look amazing but $1000? WOW! I've been looking at lights and very skeptical of the ones on eBay that are a no name brand. I'm sure some are prob fine I just hate to waste money. I guess I will look for a 6 bulb T5 HO.
Thanks, I've seen my light go for around 500.00, but you've got to really look hard. The ones on eBay I've had, and I actually still use one on my 55 gallon. They aren't bad, but if its affordable go with a name brand 6 bulb T5HO light system. The ones on eBay usually have no warrenty, and when purchasing a light you might want that. Just make sure it either has a built in timer, or separate plugs so you can buy yourself some $5.00 timers from Walmart.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're going with T5 HO, Sunlight supply is good quality and does the job. I have a 6 bulb T5 HO 60" light fixture and I have to put most coral on the sand or close or else they get fried. I wish I went with LEDs though for the cost and less heat.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com