Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've got two timers now. One for the main light and one for the refugium. The hunt for a light begins! New test strip, more saltwater and water change tomorrow. Thanks everyone. I will post updates. This is a GREAT forum!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Consider the cost of replacement bulbs before you decide. Going LED is more cost upfront but pays for itself over time. Also with a good LED fixture you can keep even the most light demanding anemones, clams, and SPS.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hate to be pessimistic, but your anemone probably won't make it with the time it will take you to get everything right.
My advice is to take your time with your lighting choice. There are many opinions. Look for the thread "Lighting a reef... best bang for your buck." It is a very recent thread so it should be a couple pages down. Lots of GREAT info.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

If lights are what you need I have Aqua illuminations and I love them! I highly recommend if you have the cash
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
If lights are what you need I have Aqua illuminations and I love them! I highly recommend if you have the cash
+1 on the AI. I got those also and love them.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post

+1 on the AI. I got those also and love them.
Right!?! My gf just got me the controller for them for Christmas. +1 for having a girl who supports my other love lol
Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

My advice would be to not add anything for 2-3 month until your reef is really stable. I know it sucks but it will pay off!

And +1 on the API test kit
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
Hate to be pessimistic, but your anemone probably won't make it with the time it will take you to get everything right.
My advice is to take your time with your lighting choice. There are many opinions. Look for the thread "Lighting a reef... best bang for your buck." It is a very recent thread so it should be a couple pages down. Lots of GREAT info.
Besides the lighting, the fact that all your parameters are way out of wack is why you shouldn't try and keep a nem until you have been set up of 12 months. You and the tank need to stabilize. Reusing old salt water is just that, old depleted salt water. It carries very little/none benefits to reuse it. Thats why we do water changes to replenish, if old salt water was good, we would not have to do WC. Nems need pristine stable water conditions with high output lighting, you have none of its basic requirements. When it dies, it will probably also crash your tank. Sorry but theses are the facts.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Holygral, should I just remove it now before it completely dies? I just ordered an API Saltwater Test kit and will be ordering a 6 bulb T5 HO light in a few days. I guess I jumped the gun on the nem huh? I will be doing my 2nd water change tonight. This is definitely a learning experience.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Raised nems for 7 years and when conditions are right they are care free. Mature stable tank with pristine water conditions and good lighting. My 4 sit 6 inches or less under 2x250 MH to give you an idea on how intense lighting they need . DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, but I only test maybe every 2 months, not bragging or recommending others follow that, just saying that once a tank is established, and do regular WC, it gets easier but it takes a year or two. I also dose nothing, havn't lost anything in 5-6 years. So with all that said, I would remove him, too big of a chance he won't make it. Try to take it back or give it to another established reefer with the right equipment and lighting. Get your lighting, stop dosing if you are ,do water changes and let nature take its course. it will get easier if you take your time.

Tags
anemone, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com