Anemone question (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
The first pic is about a week after we got it. The 2nd pic was this morning (for about 4 hours) The 3rd pic is how it looks right now and has for the past 4 days besides this morning. We thought it was dead. Is this normal? Water tests good as far as I can tell. 20% water change every 2 weeks. Using RO to refill from evaporatin.

image-30840158.jpg

Attachments

• image-1250829328.jpg
    image-1250829328.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 219
  • image-2756184785.jpg
    image-2756184785.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 251
The tank looks awful new to be putting such a sensitive creature in. As for the water testing good as far as you can tell, what tests did you take, and what were the results?

Well we bought th tank from an individual and he had it for a few years. He sold all the corals and a few of his nicer fish before I found it. When we moved the tank we transported everything including the saltwater and the same rock he previously had. Here are the results from the water test. Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Alkalinity 180, PH 8.6 (a little high from what I've read) and salinity 1.024. As you prob already know I am a newbie and there obviously is a TON of stuff to learn. This forum has helped tremendously and I also listen to podcast at work.

Alk of 18 DKH? Both the ph and the Alk are way out of whack. I would do some water changes to correct that.

How did you acclimate it? And yes 8.6 is high

I emptied the bag it and the rock came in into a small bucket and added about a cup of tank water into the bucket about once every hour for about 5 hours. It was how the guy at the LFS where I bought it explained how to do it.

How would I get the PH down. Is 8.4 ideal? Could the PH be the problem? It's a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon refugium setup, protein skimmer. The refugium has a few live rock and can't remember the name of it (green seaweed looking stuff that grows) LOL.

Alk of 18 DKH? Both the ph and the Alk are way out of whack. I would do some water changes to correct that.

Alkalinity 180 (KH) ppm. It's a test kit that was recommended.

Ahh...lol. 10 DKH. Normal range.
Why do you think the PH is up? Are you adding anything to the tank? Supplements?

Well, it's a LED home made job. When I bought the whole thing I thought it would be fine. It's plenty bright and has the blue also. Well after a little reading I see now that bright doesn't always cut it. I've been debating (for about 5 days) getting a new LED or T5 HO light. Just don't know if I need a 4 bulb or a 6 for the T5. Plus they are so dang expensive. Seems like everyone has different opinions and I don't want to spend the money to find out what I bought isn't right.

Ahh...lol. 10 DKH. Normal range.
Why do you think the PH is up? Are you adding anything to the tank? Supplements?

I haven't added anything. I'm guessing I need a new test kit and a new LFS. The guy there talked me into buying this little test kit (test strips) and says its what they use.

Lighting could be a big problem. I've never owned a nem, but I know their lighting requirements are up there with clams and sps.
Judging by what you've said, your lighting is probably insufficient. Not sure how quickly that would have killed him though.
If you go t5, I think you would need at least six bulbs. If you go LED, a lot of people rave about taotronics. I know mr X and Gregcoyote both use taotronics for SPS.

Toss the test strips and get a liquid test kit for sure. Strips are not accurate for SW tanks.

I haven't added anything. I'm guessing I need a new test kit and a new LFS. The guy there talked me into buying this little test kit (test strips) and says its what they use.

Get rid of those test strips they are the worst for accuracy!! Most use API, but a lot of hobbyists say Red Sea is a much more accurate kit.

As for lighting you'll prolly want at least a 6 bulb T5HO, or maybe metal halides (that's what I run on my 130 gallon). I can't speak for LEDs as those are something I've not used yet. I do know they are cheaper in the long run, and life expectancy is longer.

http://www.aquacon.com/CoralifeAqualightPro250.html
This is the light I currently run.

Willbrats, those lights look amazing but $1000? WOW! I've been looking at lights and very skeptical of the ones on eBay that are a no name brand. I'm sure some are prob fine I just hate to waste money. I guess I will look for a 6 bulb T5 HO.

Oh and the test strips will be going in the trash tonight. I will be getting a real test kit tomorrow.

Willbrats, those lights look amazing but $1000? WOW! I've been looking at lights and very skeptical of the ones on eBay that are a no name brand. I'm sure some are prob fine I just hate to waste money. I guess I will look for a 6 bulb T5 HO.

Thanks, I've seen my light go for around 500.00, but you've got to really look hard. The ones on eBay I've had, and I actually still use one on my 55 gallon. They aren't bad, but if its affordable go with a name brand 6 bulb T5HO light system. The ones on eBay usually have no warrenty, and when purchasing a light you might want that. Just make sure it either has a built in timer, or separate plugs so you can buy yourself some $5.00 timers from Walmart.

If you're going with T5 HO, Sunlight supply is good quality and does the job. I have a 6 bulb T5 HO 60" light fixture and I have to put most coral on the sand or close or else they get fried. I wish I went with LEDs though for the cost and less heat.

Back
Top Bottom