Anemone question (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got two timers now. One for the main light and one for the refugium. The hunt for a light begins! New test strip, more saltwater and water change tomorrow. Thanks everyone. I will post updates. This is a GREAT forum!

Consider the cost of replacement bulbs before you decide. Going LED is more cost upfront but pays for itself over time. Also with a good LED fixture you can keep even the most light demanding anemones, clams, and SPS.

Hate to be pessimistic, but your anemone probably won't make it with the time it will take you to get everything right.
My advice is to take your time with your lighting choice. There are many opinions. Look for the thread "Lighting a reef... best bang for your buck." It is a very recent thread so it should be a couple pages down. Lots of GREAT info.

If lights are what you need I have Aqua illuminations and I love them! I highly recommend if you have the cash

My advice would be to not add anything for 2-3 month until your reef is really stable. I know it sucks but it will pay off!

And +1 on the API test kit

Hate to be pessimistic, but your anemone probably won't make it with the time it will take you to get everything right.
My advice is to take your time with your lighting choice. There are many opinions. Look for the thread "Lighting a reef... best bang for your buck." It is a very recent thread so it should be a couple pages down. Lots of GREAT info.

Besides the lighting, the fact that all your parameters are way out of wack is why you shouldn't try and keep a nem until you have been set up of 12 months. You and the tank need to stabilize. Reusing old salt water is just that, old depleted salt water. It carries very little/none benefits to reuse it. Thats why we do water changes to replenish, if old salt water was good, we would not have to do WC. Nems need pristine stable water conditions with high output lighting, you have none of its basic requirements. When it dies, it will probably also crash your tank. Sorry but theses are the facts.:(

Holygral, should I just remove it now before it completely dies? I just ordered an API Saltwater Test kit and will be ordering a 6 bulb T5 HO light in a few days. I guess I jumped the gun on the nem huh? I will be doing my 2nd water change tonight. This is definitely a learning experience.

Raised nems for 7 years and when conditions are right they are care free. Mature stable tank with pristine water conditions and good lighting. My 4 sit 6 inches or less under 2x250 MH to give you an idea on how intense lighting they need . DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, but I only test maybe every 2 months, not bragging or recommending others follow that, just saying that once a tank is established, and do regular WC, it gets easier but it takes a year or two. I also dose nothing, havn't lost anything in 5-6 years. So with all that said, I would remove him, too big of a chance he won't make it. Try to take it back or give it to another established reefer with the right equipment and lighting. Get your lighting, stop dosing if you are ,do water changes and let nature take its course. it will get easier if you take your time.

Cool. I will call the LFS today and see what they say.

What's everyone's thoughts on me getting 2 Marineland Reef Capable LED lights 24-36"? My tank is 48" long. I was thinking of going T5 HO 6 bulb until I ran across these at half the price of new.

Marineland LEDs are usually low end 1 watt bulbs. You need 3 watt bulbs. Not an led expert, but that's will be my upgrade after tons of research this year. MH grow anything but once a year bulb replacement $150 and high energy cost, but I also know that my 125 will cost me $1200 to do it right. Good luck finding him a home, an experienced reefer probally would have a better chance of saving him, local shops are not set up for long term survival of anything, very few have the proper tank conditions and lighting to support a nem. They ship them in and sell them ASAP.

Well I guess I will just stick with the T5 HO 6 bulb setup. Thanks for everyone's help.

Look at this fixture... I bought this fixture since they are close to home and it has been flawless. It has one plug and 3 built in timers and comes with 6 bulbs.

Look at this on eBay:

LCD Timer 36" 234W 6x39 Fluorescent Actinic T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture Marine

http://bit.ly/U87Q6i

I have a 34 gal tank with T5HO, 2 actinics and 2 10k, both 54 watts, my nem is thriving well, been there for almost 3 months now..before I used to feed him table shrimp but after he survived when he tore his foot (which has healed already), he won't accept the shrimp anymore, I guess the lighting and some mysis shrimp is enough...he just moved way down when I placed another water pump and supplementing corals with reef energy :)

Don't add any supplements to the tank. Everything you need is in your salt mix. You can easily do more harm than good this way. I would not toss the anemone. A couple water changes and he might turn around.

Sorry but 3 months is not a sign of survival, nems can live 6 months to a year under bad conditions. A 108 watts is not enough to support a nem long term. If a nem is healthy they will ALWAYS except food. If they are moving then conditions are not what the need, a little extra flow won't make them move

I added him 2 weeks after I set up and cycled my tank..

Your nem probally will not make it long term, 2 weeks after a tank is cycled is a death sentence 90% of the time. I know you think I'm wrong but it is the truth. Your nem has already had issues, torn foot, ect. Good luck

Don't add any supplements to the tank. Everything you need is in your salt mix. You can easily do more harm than good this way. I would not toss the anemone. A couple water changes and he might turn around.

I'm doing a 10% WC tonight and prob again Sat or Sunday. Also an API test kit should be here Friday and might have a new light this weekend. I hope that helps. Any recommendation for a website on all the test parameters and how one would adjust them up or down if need be? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom