Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to put some sort of anemone in my Reef Setup.. I feel that my tank at this time is able to handle an anemone.. My question is I was looking for a good "Starter" anemone... I was thinking of either a Bubble Tip Anemone "Entacmaea quadricolor" or a Generic Carpet Anemone "Stichodactyla sp."

Both from what I have read are pretty easy to care for Long Term and would be ok in my tank...

TIA,
James

cj10488 said:
Both from what I have read are pretty easy to care for Long Term and would be ok in my tank...
I would not consider any hosting anemone easy to care for but of those two, the best choice would be a BTA. A clone would be an even better choice. Carpets are best in very established tanks with MH light IME but you do have a good amount of light on the tank for most others.

The tank is coming up on it's first birthday isn't it :?:
How's the tank specs?

Cheers
Steve

lol Sorry I didnt realize that I never updated my profile lol..

My Lighting is 2x250w 10k MH bulbs and 2x55w actinics.. The tank has been up for about 6 months or so now and the LR that was added to the tank was VERY awesome in all aspects.. All my levels are stable and have been minus my User Created ALK problem lol... My preference would be the Carpet Anemone but I am unsure of Which would be better.. My A. Percula has been hosting the Leather for a while now and I am tired of seeing the Fish look depressed when the lights go out and it shrinks.. BTW the percula was a Wild Caught... The only concerns I have about a carpet is it eating my fish that I have in the tank.. IE damsel, R. Gramma, Regal Tang, 2 Perculas, Scooter Blenny... The Ammonia, nitrite levels have been 0 since day 2 of putting in the LR.. Nitrate has been at 5ppm since and has within the last month dropped to 0ppm and been stable there since.. Alk and Ca have been almost perfectly balanced.. 3.43 alk and 420ppm CA for about 2 months...

HTH,
James

carpets WILL eat as many of your fish as possible. i have lost a porcupine puffer, lawnmower blennie and almost an urchin to mine.

Although A. percula has been known to readily host in a BTA, their natural hosts are the sebae, ritteri and giant carpet. I would still be wary of an anemone at this point. A 6 month old tank is not quite ready for these creatures and I would hate to see problems.

What I would honeslty suggest at this stage is to get a mate for the clown and wait another 6-8 months and then consider the anemone. You will be suprised how it will change it's behavour and interactions just by adding a mate. I have a single TR A. percula in my 27 gal and it cozies up to the thermometer at night... LOL. I will be doing just as I have recommended and getting it a mate. The LFS has been promising me another TR A. percula for weeks now and hopefully will be here this weekend.

If you opt for the additional clown, just be sure the new addition is much smaller than the one you have now.

Cheers
Steve

I have 2 A. Percula Clowns on is TR and the other is Wild caught... I feel that my tank would easily be able to handle an anemone at this point in time.. I know that you suggested a year but I feel that my 6 month old tank is alot more mature that most ppls tank at a year old.. I have had people come over who state their tank has been up for 2-5 years and their tank doesnt even compare in growth as my has in the 6 months.. I have several Healthy SPS, LPS, Polyps, and softies in my tank that are doing extremely well... I would be another month before I got any anemone but I am doing the responsible thing and researching before I buy.. And I got $20.00 on it that as long as the specimen is healthy I won't have issues with it ;)... I remember I had 2 condy's in my 1 week old tank that were doing awesome until I took them back to the LFS... What Hosting anemone would be best for the A. Percula and at that note also be a good beginner species and NOT eat my fish...

Thx again,
James

I have decided that I am going to Try and assorted carpet from liveaquaria.com They offer a 10 day gaurentee on it and stated that unless the fish or inverts were extremely small that it should not devour them... The possibility of it eating my fish are the only thing that I dont like.. LiveAquaria's price was 32.99 plus s/h It is a X-mas present for me... I have read and read and read about Carpets and feel that I am ready to venture that direction.. It will be here Next Thursday and If it arrives live then It should be Extremely happy in my tank... The only one thing that I have not been able to find out is How the H3ll do you put it in your tank.. Considering that this is one of the only few anemones that can sting Humans badly... Should I get some powder Free Latex gloves or??? I plan to Drip Acclimate it for 3-4 hours.. Should this be longer or do you think that this should suffice??? LiveAquaria also stated that my tank should be ready for it as long as all my water conditions are and have been stable and I feel comfortable with the water quality/maintence of the tank...

Any Advice would be Extremely Nice,
James

I will be awaiting your problems. It seems that every day there is someone with a new anemone begging for help. These creatures are just not meant for aquariums.

These creatures are just not meant for aquariums.

Was anything really "ment" for an Aquarium??? IMO everything was Ment to be in the wild however Some of the population has chosen to have them in Captivity.. There are many many people successfully keeping anemones.. Steve for example has been successfull with even some of the harder Anemones... There have been numerous reports of Anemones doing much better lately due to the new advances in technology... I have been reading and Researching Anemones for about the last 6 months and feel that I am very well informed... To make a statement as the one above is not fair and IMO should not be stated.. There are millions of people out there with anemones and yes there are a few that do ask for questions and answers... If everyone who has anemones asked and had issues with them there would be no time in the world to answer other questions..

James

cj10488 said:
The only one thing that I have not been able to find out is How the H3ll do you put it in your tank.. Considering that this is one of the only few anemones that can sting Humans badly... Should I get some powder Free Latex gloves or???
I use the disposable plastic gloves that you see the deli sandwhich makers use. They will work well at protecting your hands, the anemone will not stick to the plastic and the acids from your hands will not affect the anemone. Just watch your arms. Acclimate for 2-3 hrs but be very sure to keep the temp stable and if possible float the bag in the sump while acclimating. Once in the tank, turn the MH lights off and reduce the light period for the MH a bit for the first few days so as not to shock the carpet. Keep the actinics on as normal. When releasing the anemone, you will end up getting some water from the bag into the tank it is unavoidable but some will not be an issue. Roll down the top edge of the bag so it is short, submerge the bag with the anemone and gentley allow it to roll out onto your hand. Place the anemone about midpoint on the rock specifically in a area that has a good "depression" ot small gap where the anemone can bury it's foot. They will hate having their foot exposed and will move looking for a better spot. Be sure no coral is withing a good 12" unless the coral can be easily moved. Gentle water flow is best. If the flow moves the disc more than a little or is constant the anemone will move.

cj10488 said:
These creatures are just not meant for aquariums.

There are many many people successfully keeping anemones.. Steve for example has been successfull with even some of the harder Anemones... There have been numerous reports of Anemones doing much better lately due to the new advances in technology... I have been reading and Researching Anemones for about the last 6 months and feel that I am very well informed...James
Agreed that if properly informed and the neccessary steps are ensured to for the anemone to propsper it is possible. That said though I would be one of the first to caution against purchasing these guys unless the tank is well aged and hobbiest is well educated in reef aquaria. One very major point of clarification as far as my own animals are concerned, I have never placed an anemone in a tank that is less than two years old.

Cheers
Steve

Place the anemone about midpoint on the rock specifically in a area that has a good "depression" ot small gap where the anemone can bury it's foot
From my understanding aren't the particular Carpet that I have ordered aren't they "Sand" anemones? From my understanding Carpets like to bury their foot into the sand... I have the what I believe "Perfect Spot" that I have been saving for a carpet for some time now.. 12" away from any coral (well after I move the corals I have there Temporarily) and in a good flow area.. Its kind of almost Directly under the MH bulb.. in the front corner of the tank.. I plan on Drip Acclimating it and When Placing it into the tank watching it for several several hours probably 12hrs to be exact.. since the Tank is Next to the TV it makes it easy.. That Way I may Promptly move any coral if the Carpet decides to move from the spot I place it in.. I have attached photo of the Spot I have chosen to place the Carpet in and hope that It likes it.. Now keep in mind the 2 corals that are there are going to me moved by weeks end..

TIA,
James

Actually with most carpets it does not matter. They will inhabit the sandbed but only if they can attach to a hard surface where the rock and sand meet. As long as it can bury it's foot and attach securely it should not matter. The only anemone IME that prefers to be in the sand is the Heteractis aurora which I have as well. The anemone may be fine in the area you've chosen but it will depend on how much it likes the light and water flow. It might just decide to move to the middle so be prepared...

Do you know the proper species or was it sold simpley as Stichodactyla "sp"?

Cheers
Steve

It should be a Stichodactyla gigantea but was sold as Stichodactyla sp.

It might just decide to move to the middle so be prepared...

I am very prepared.. and crossing my fingers as I have had my heart and research on it indicates that particular spot a good one but if it decides to move I understand and lready Have an Idea where to move most corals..

I am hoping that It will take hold within the first 12hrs of being in the tank and If not its going to be a long night lol

Thx again Steve,
James

PS Kudos ;)

I am very prepared.. and crossing my fingers as I have had my heart and research on it indicates that particular spot a good one but if it decides to move I understand and lready Have an Idea where to move most corals..

If your tank is maturing as well as it seems, why not just be a little bit more patient until the tank is at least a year old if it will potentially help the anemone survive? Your desire to have the animal should directly reflect on your dedication to providing a stable home, and statistics are on the side of caution that you should wait a bit longer. Your tank isn't going anywhere but up, and anemones will still be sold in the future.

Back
Top Bottom