Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kept a sebae? Or any anemone? I've had my Rose BTA for a year and 7 months now, just got a sebae as well (dyed yellow) and I am going to try to help it recover. I made a thread about it and am going to try to post weekly pictures of how it's doing. Tomorrow will be week one.

Not that I'm gonna do it myself or try to but how do they dye the Anemone? And if they are able to recover does the pigment go back to normal or stay whatever color they dyed it to? I'm bet'n they probably don't live long enough to find out if they revert back to the origianal color which is sad. Do they do it at the LFS or do they get them from someplace else that does it?

My LFS is owned by a great guy and he had no idea that they even dyed corals still (he had heard of it in the past but thought they had stopped completely). They did the dyeing at where ever he ordered it from. If the anemone recovers it should lose all of the yellow color and go back to a tan color (it's original color). I'm hoping mine recovers, I just posted the one week photos yesterday and it looks a little less yellow.

Yeah I was scan'n the thread and it looked a little paler yellow than the original pics. I didn't know if it was due to recover'n or it was stress'd or on it's way out. But I still would like to know just for general knowledge on how do they do it? I mean do they inject it or let it sit in some kind of die? I'm just curious on how they do it without kill'n the little guy. Anyway looks to me like this little guy lucked out by have'n you puchase it and I wish you all the luck in bring'n it back true form and good health. Keep me posted

I don't care how they do it, it is simple crookery. Like painting a car with watercolors hoping it will sell before it rains.

Yeah I was scan'n the thread and it looked a little paler yellow than the original pics. I didn't know if it was due to recover'n or it was stress'd or on it's way out. But I still would like to know just for general knowledge on how do they do it? I mean do they inject it or let it sit in some kind of die? I'm just curious on how they do it without kill'n the little guy. Anyway looks to me like this little guy lucked out by have'n you puchase it and I wish you all the luck in bring'n it back true form and good health. Keep me posted

Yah I have no idea how they do it. Thanks, I'll keep the thread updated weekly.

haha the car comparison is kinda funny, but true.

I had an LTA for a bit over two years. It occupied the corner of my 125 and was a foot across.

After it perished in a matter of days after a feeding I did a lot more research and came to the following conclusion:

My suggestion is 1) unless you know that an anemone is fragged from another already in captivity, or split from one in captivity, don't buy it; 2) unless you know exactly what #1 needs in terms of light, and care, and your tank can provide for it, don't buy it; 3) unless the person selling it knows the answers to #2, don't buy it.
LTA's can get BIG, live well over a foot wide given proper conditions. They can live for 30+ years in the ocean. These creatures do not belong in captive tanks.

I will add to the above that feeding an anemone too much or too often can also hasten its demise. They expend a lot of energy digesting the food that falls into them in the wild or is offered by their hosting clown fish. Feeding is a minor supplement to their natural diet.

Yeah I decided against an anemone and went with corals after reading all the good info here on the site. I was hoping my clowns would host one of them but so far they haven't they've only hosted my filter strainer cup but I didn't feel it was fair to try and keep something I had no experience with and would probably die. If they wind up not hosting anything the corals still add a ton of movement to the tank an look great.

We grow things now that 25 years ago were almost impossible to keep. And some folks are plain lucky. But in the long run, those on this forum have really good insight as to what really works and what doesn't. Even when we are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom