Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oilerfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought an anemone (sebae) knowing that they are tough to keep. Was reading up on it and found that the anemone isnt in great health. There is not much color to it besides the tips and doesn't really 'grab' when I touch it like I've read it should. If anyone has experience with anemones and knows how to bring it back to health, please help!...

You need intense lights such as T5, LED, or Metal Halides. Tank also needs to be stable with no parameter flucuations at all. Not to be mean, but most that are in aquaria don't survive. They are best left in the oceans.

Last edited:
I'm running a 6 x 54 watt tech light t5 fixture about 4 inches from the water surface. Should be sufficient i think eh?

Attachments

• image-3362288521.jpg
    image-3362288521.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 153
I think it should, but I do think I remember that sebae or however you spell it, and LTA's require the highest amount of light compared to other nem's, so not 100% sure. Just keep the parameters in check by keeping up with water changes and watch how much you feed. Other than that, good luck.

Hey Oilerfan,
The Anemone's get most of their food from the water column When you feed you're other fish, but I always feed mine a piece of clam or shrimp cut up really small a couple times a week. I just try to interact as much as I can without be'n a pest. Good luck

This is not meant as any criticism to you...I have made many of the same mistakes I now ***** about...

What is the longest anyone on this forum has kept one? There are things offered in the LFS that should never have been taken from the sea. If you are an advanced hobbiest doing research, that is a different matter. But just buying something that is destine to die is sad. I think the forum members should continue to try to warn the new hobbyists and send the message to the LFS to quit ordering some things. As a diver, I see the hobby from two sides and think the responsible thing to do is to only keep and culture the vast array of creatures that thrive in an aquarium.

This is not meant as any criticism to you...I have made many of the same mistakes I now ***** about...

What is the longest anyone on this forum has kept one? There are things offered in the LFS that should never have been taken from the sea. If you are an advanced hobbiest doing research, that is a different matter. But just buying something that is destine to die is sad. I think the forum members should continue to try to warn the new hobbyists and send the message to the LFS to quit ordering some things. As a diver, I see the hobby from two sides and think the responsible thing to do is to only keep and culture the vast array of creatures that thrive in an aquarium.
Ive had my carpet anemone for 6 months with no issue. Just purchased a LTA for my other tank everything seems good with it to hope I have the same luck as I do with my carpet

Kept a sebae? Or any anemone? I've had my Rose BTA for a year and 7 months now, just got a sebae as well (dyed yellow) and I am going to try to help it recover. I made a thread about it and am going to try to post weekly pictures of how it's doing. Tomorrow will be week one.

I've had my sebae about 6-7 years now.
sebae_11-18-09.jpg

I've had my sebae about 6-7 years now.
sebae_11-18-09.jpg

Do you have a clown that hosts your sebae?? Our Maroon won't leave his bubble tip anemone sadly but I've read that having a clown host the anemone will help it recover. I am thinking of possibly getting a pair in hopes that they will host it. (It's a 260 gal tank but I'm still hesitant with the maroon in there)

I have a mated pair of clarkii clowns. They are about 6-7 years old also. Female in front, male in back.

clowns_2-09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom