anemone questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
here is a list of some of the questions i have concerning my anemone.

-i read somewhere that red legged reef hermits will eat my condy anemone. is this true. because ive got 4 of them in my tank with it!!

-why do anemones inflate themselves? what is the purpose?

-how bad is a condy's sting? how do you know if you will have a bad reaction or not? just get stung or what?

-does a condy move around the tank alot?

-if a clown is letting the anemone touch its tail and side does that mean it might be thinking about hosting it? it seams to be hanging around it alot more too.

RedLeggedHermit said:
here is a list of some of the questions i have concerning my anemone.

-i read somewhere that red legged reef hermits will eat my condy anemone. is this true. because ive got 4 of them in my tank with it!!

-why do anemones inflate themselves? what is the purpose?

-how bad is a condy's sting? how do you know if you will have a bad reaction or not? just get stung or what?

-does a condy move around the tank alot?

-if a clown is letting the anemone touch its tail and side does that mean it might be thinking about hosting it? it seams to be hanging around it alot more too.

Not sure about the red legged hermits, but I doubt it.
I believe one of the reasons they inflate is to create more surface area, and soak up more light.
Unless you have real sensitive skin, the anemones just seem sticky, that's the extent of their "sting". It is designed for much smaller organisms than humans.
And yes!, it sounds like the clown is taking a liking to your Nem. It is not unheard of, that a Condy host a clown. I had one do it for awhile. Any port in a storm, so to speak.

Ohh and last question, they will move until they find an optimal place for themselves.

Not sure about the red legged hermits, but I doubt it.
I believe one of the reasons they inflate is to create more surface area, and soak up more light.
Unless you have real sensitive skin, the anemones just seem sticky, that's the extent of their "sting". It is designed for much smaller organisms than humans.
And yes!, it sounds like the clown is taking a liking to your Nem. It is not unheard of, that a Condy host a clown. I had one do it for awhile. Any port in a storm, so to speak.

what i had read is that they are their natural predators. but i dont know. a hermit crap eating an anemone kinda sounds odd to me. oh that makes sense.
ive kinda been avoiding touching it the few times i had to reach in the tank until i knew. ya someone on here had said that its really rare. heres hoping. :)

Won't they also sting if they come in contact with an open wound? Like some coral.

I have a couple red legged hermits and a Condy and they never mess with the nem, but I do believe my coral banded shrimp has nipped a few tentacles although I've never seen it happen. I did catch one red legged hermit eating some button polyps so he went to a fish only tank.

My condy never stays in one place. I keep on him though. Sometimes he gets too close to other corals and I had to pry him off the overflow box once.

image-3021350950.jpg

His name is Gypsy. Lol.

I had heard that nems only move because hey are unhappy with surrounding conditions. I had one mov ever night unil it found a spot it lked and didnt move again.

Btw yur condy looks really bleached could be why it moves so much what kind of lights do u have

ya i got him from petco so he probably is pretty bleached. i have him under a Coral Sun actinic 420 17watts T8. and i have just started to feed him mysis shrimp as well. the guy i was talking to in petco said he had an anemone and thats what he fed his and it was really healthy. mine seams to really like them too. is this alright?
thanks for the warnings. ill keep open wounds to myself!!! lol
those are really nice looking anemones! hes mostly staying on the same rock now. but he is kinda moving around all over it though. i think he likes the location of it but cant find just the right spot on the rock. :)

Pryzz said:
Won't they also sting if they come in contact with an open wound? Like some coral.

Yes but never stick a hand with an open wound in your tank. Many toxins as well as bacterias that can really have an effect on the human body some even deadly.

Heres a few articles on some toxins/bacteria we often find in saltwater aquaria.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/aafeature

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...-and-why-to-avoid-a-deadly-zoanthid-toxin.htm

http://www.freshwater-aquarium-fish.com/articles/human_aquarium_pathogens.htm

Yeah I know that, but unless you have gloves. Sometimes it can't be helped.

Pryzz said:
Yeah I know that, but unless you have gloves. Sometimes it can't be helped.

Sure it can lol. Dont put your hand in the tank! Lol, or use your none injured hand. or invest a few bucks in some gloves or a aquatic gardening tool.

Not many cases you 'need' to stick your hand in the tank. But its a risk you take, just spreading the awareness, lol.

Yeah, I get that. I'm not talking gaping cuts or anything, just knocks on fingers and underneath fingernails. I know you shouldn't put your hand in and I really should get some gloves.

Mine was bleached when I got him just nursed him along and in about two months he recovered

Schism said:
Sure it can lol. Dont put your hand in the tank! Lol, or use your none injured hand. or invest a few bucks in some gloves or a aquatic gardening tool.

Not many cases you 'need' to stick your hand in the tank. But its a risk you take, just spreading the awareness, lol.

I'm a mechanic so my hands are always cut up. Hopefully I have no problems in the future lol. The salt water does sting a little once in a while though lol

Back
Top Bottom