Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Well I guess my anemone sucks, 2nd night ive found him floating around the tank, I'm going to flush his *** down the toilet if he doesnt shape up.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce
Well I guess my anemone sucks, 2nd night ive found him floating around the tank, I'm going to flush his *** down the toilet if he doesnt shape up.
Did you try turning off the powerheads? Threatening to flush him isn't the answer. At the very least you could give it to the lfs for store. You can't really blame the anemone for being yanked out of it's home and stuck into an artificial enviroment, three times at the very least, forced to adjust and expected to behave the way we want it too. It should have settled down by now which tells me there's something about your system that isn't right for it. Perhaps there is to much water flow. Maybe it's the MH lighting. Maybe the fact that you moved it around has it irritated and stressed. How did you acclimate it to your tank? If your not happy with it, take it to the lfs for credit or give it to them. That's much better than your alternative which in my opinion is very immature.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was reading that they like to bury into the sand. I cut a peice of pvc and wedged it between 2 rocks and placed it in there. We will see how things turn out.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

But you moved again. And again adding more stress on the anemone. You really need to just let it do it's own thing. Every time you move it or disturb it, is gonna upset the thing and make it less likely to want to stay put where this is happening. This could be why it won't take a foot hold. Maybe it's hoping the current will carry it away from the constant irritation.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium. I clearly stated that before. I have a bunch of animals in my tank that I would rather not have an anemone floating around in a circle over and over stinging the **** out of everything. Obviously I was being sarcastic when I said I would flush it. I just fed it another very small peice of shrimp and it gobbled the thing up like it was its last meal. Clearly my rockwork is not the best suitable for it to establish a hold and my flow is just to much for it. I have taken proper action to ensure its greatest chances of survival. You can't just turn off the powerheads and expect it to find a spot in which it feels content, then turn the power heads back on and expect results, it has to be consistant or the animal will have an even harder time finding a spot with desired flow rate.
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not necessarily, if it's being blown around so much that it can't get a hold, then turning them off for a bit til it does will at least give it a jump start. Your rock isn't the issue. An anemone will climb on anything and being full of water, can form to fit whatever it's on.
Also, I'm not a man, and I never said you bought it so your being defensive is really unfounded. I'm trying to help you and give you advice on how to better manage the anemone. You can take it or leave it. It's not gonna float around stinging animals in the tank. If it's floating, chances are it's not happy, maybe it's injured, maybe you didn't acclimate properly and it's still adjusting to your tank, or maybe it's dying. I can't give you a positive answer without seeing it's behavior myself. I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can on the info you are giving. I stand by my advice. You need to stop moving it and let it find it's spot. Otherwise I the fate of the anemone won't be a good one.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium.
IMO, the best thing for this animal is to bring it the LFS and see if you can get credit for it. It is obvious that it is not happy and nether are you.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce
Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium. I clearly stated that before. I have a bunch of animals in my tank that I would rather not have an anemone floating around in a circle over and over stinging the *beep* out of everything. Obviously I was being sarcastic when I said I would flush it.
Please remember, you started this thread. That means people will respond with advice and they will take offense to your sarcastic comment about flushing the anemone. I can understand your frustration, but being nasty in your tone is not going to get you anywhere. I think Lando gave you the best advice possible, you do not want the anemone, you are concerned about what it will do in your tank, you should try to take it to a store for credit. It is also a lesson learned, friend or no, do not take livestock if you arent ready for it. It was his anemone, his problem. Now it is your problem.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO it is nearly impossible to express tone over the internet becuase tone is subjective.
Attention nerdsl; take a chill pill.
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 10-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You take the chill pill. Next time we have to warn you will be the last. Its not hard to get ones tone by reading ones responses and the fact that our automatic word filter had to take action on one of your posts is further evidence of ones mood. I am sure you had good intensions but simply disposing of it because its not doing what you want is totally unacceptable to myself and most of the members here.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Closed Thread

Tags
anemone, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com