Anemone starting place?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please list type of lighting, age of the tank and current water prameters.

iIalready have it(was going to wait atleast 6 months but read further for explanation), I have 175w 10k MH lighting my friend bought a long tentacle anomone and he has an eclipse setup and being a retard he didnt know. Everything tests perfect. Tank is only a month old(i had a 4 day cycle), I need to know where to put him in the tank for best survival possibilities, as i realise they are low. He looks VERY health but doesnt seem to like the little spots I put him in, probably becuase he gets blown off the better spots.

I'd place him in a low flow area on the rock so he's not being blown around and has time to get a grip. He will find his own spot.

Ya I thought the same thing, but yesterday I put him in a spot with a crater in it, he crawled out of it. The spot was right next to my powerhead stream, he took about 2 steps the wrong way and got blown across the whole tank. I will try again

Don't keep moving it. Constant moving by you can be very stressful. If all is well in your system, it will get a grip and move to where it wants to be. To much involvement from you may stress it to the point of no return. I'm sure you know this already but be sure your intakes are covered so the anemone doesn't get sucked in.

I'm a little concerned about my anemone still, it seemed to be doing fine in the place I put it. I just got home from a party and its out and about trying to move. Are they pretty good at scaling rocks and stuff? Just by looking at most my peices of rock, it seems like it would be nearly impossible for it to climb up and move around. Anyone confirm this?

Well I guess my anemone sucks, 2nd night ive found him floating around the tank, I'm going to flush his ass down the toilet if he doesnt shape up.

DragonForce said:
Well I guess my anemone sucks, 2nd night ive found him floating around the tank, I'm going to flush his ass down the toilet if he doesnt shape up.

Did you try turning off the powerheads? Threatening to flush him isn't the answer. At the very least you could give it to the lfs for store. You can't really blame the anemone for being yanked out of it's home and stuck into an artificial enviroment, three times at the very least, forced to adjust and expected to behave the way we want it too. It should have settled down by now which tells me there's something about your system that isn't right for it. Perhaps there is to much water flow. Maybe it's the MH lighting. Maybe the fact that you moved it around has it irritated and stressed. How did you acclimate it to your tank? If your not happy with it, take it to the lfs for credit or give it to them. That's much better than your alternative which in my opinion is very immature.

I was reading that they like to bury into the sand. I cut a peice of pvc and wedged it between 2 rocks and placed it in there. We will see how things turn out.

But you moved again. And again adding more stress on the anemone. You really need to just let it do it's own thing. Every time you move it or disturb it, is gonna upset the thing and make it less likely to want to stay put where this is happening. This could be why it won't take a foot hold. Maybe it's hoping the current will carry it away from the constant irritation.

Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium. I clearly stated that before. I have a bunch of animals in my tank that I would rather not have an anemone floating around in a circle over and over stinging the **** out of everything. Obviously I was being sarcastic when I said I would flush it. I just fed it another very small peice of shrimp and it gobbled the thing up like it was its last meal. Clearly my rockwork is not the best suitable for it to establish a hold and my flow is just to much for it. I have taken proper action to ensure its greatest chances of survival. You can't just turn off the powerheads and expect it to find a spot in which it feels content, then turn the power heads back on and expect results, it has to be consistant or the animal will have an even harder time finding a spot with desired flow rate.

Not necessarily, if it's being blown around so much that it can't get a hold, then turning them off for a bit til it does will at least give it a jump start. Your rock isn't the issue. An anemone will climb on anything and being full of water, can form to fit whatever it's on.
Also, I'm not a man, and I never said you bought it so your being defensive is really unfounded. I'm trying to help you and give you advice on how to better manage the anemone. You can take it or leave it. It's not gonna float around stinging animals in the tank. If it's floating, chances are it's not happy, maybe it's injured, maybe you didn't acclimate properly and it's still adjusting to your tank, or maybe it's dying. I can't give you a positive answer without seeing it's behavior myself. I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can on the info you are giving. I stand by my advice. You need to stop moving it and let it find it's spot. Otherwise I the fate of the anemone won't be a good one.

Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium.
IMO, the best thing for this animal is to bring it the LFS and see if you can get credit for it. It is obvious that it is not happy and nether are you.

DragonForce said:
Look man, I didn't buy this thing, my tank is hardly esablished and it would have certainly died in my friends aquarium. I clearly stated that before. I have a bunch of animals in my tank that I would rather not have an anemone floating around in a circle over and over stinging the *beep* out of everything. Obviously I was being sarcastic when I said I would flush it.

Please remember, you started this thread. That means people will respond with advice and they will take offense to your sarcastic comment about flushing the anemone. I can understand your frustration, but being nasty in your tone is not going to get you anywhere. I think Lando gave you the best advice possible, you do not want the anemone, you are concerned about what it will do in your tank, you should try to take it to a store for credit. It is also a lesson learned, friend or no, do not take livestock if you arent ready for it. It was his anemone, his problem. Now it is your problem.

You take the chill pill. Next time we have to warn you will be the last. Its not hard to get ones tone by reading ones responses and the fact that our automatic word filter had to take action on one of your posts is further evidence of ones mood. I am sure you had good intensions but simply disposing of it because its not doing what you want is totally unacceptable to myself and most of the members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom