Anemone stuck to power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
The anemone is stuck to the power head and won't come off I turned off the power head but it still won't budge

How do I get it off?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it get sucked in and hurt by the powerhead? I would keep it off until it moves. Sounds like it is trying to get closer to the light and a powerhead was in the way. Can you tell us more about your tank? Just keep the powerhead off until it moves off as trying to move it will damage the foot and kill the anemone.

Yeah it got sucked in and all tangled up. We took the power head off to remove it
Rip anemone.

75 gallon display with 40gal breeder sump. About 100gal of water.

if it got torn up, you need to dose your tank with Prime or something and do a water change. It could crash your tank.

It's not dead. It will free itself in a short time if you keep the pump off. It's moving around because it's not happy with your tank. Some parameter or lighting is not ideal.

Lighting a is 2 Tao tronics 165 watt, flow, depends on where in the tank
Thank you for all you're input! Yes we did a waterchange out tanks did not crash. It's been up and running since October 2013. We had only had the anemone for a few days, do it probably didn't find a spot it liked.

IMO your tank is still too young and not stable enough for a nem. 7-8 months isn't long enough for a tank to mature enough for a nem. 10 months minimum. 12 months recommended.

Hey thanks! We weren't sure thought we'd give it a try. We heard they could sit on corals and were prepared... Just not prepared enough for it to take liking to the power head.

Well I'm late to the game, but will still throw my thoughts into the ring.
for future reference, take the power head or whatever the nem is attached to out of the water so that the tentacles/body of the nem is in the water but it's foot is out of the water. Prop it that way and shortly the nem will move. ;)

All you have to do is turn the power head off and let it free itself. No need to stress it more by taking it out of the water. It's not in the power head by choice and will free itself (slowly) when it's not being sucked in any longer. It is however, unhappy with something in the tank. They will inflate with water and become buoyant to relocate in the wild. This is what yours did, and there's not too far to go before hitting a power head....

What might help is you can get some plastic needlepoint cloth;
Plastic Canvas 7 Count 12''X18'' at Joann.com
and construct larger screens around the powerheads.
That would prevent anything from getting too close to the inlet screen without effecting the flow rate very much at all.
That stuff can be melted together easily to form seams. ;)

Back
Top Bottom