Anemone....Think I have a chance???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icolon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about 5 weeks old and all the test are have showen the water condition to be right....recently I introduced an anemone to my tank... 20 mins later...I walk away and came back to see him being sucked onto one of my tank circulation pump...(this anemone made to pump stop operating)....I turn the pump off and attempted to release the anemone of the prefilter screen w/o any results...it was not letting go. I had to carefully extract it by cutting around the filter......It's been 1 day since this incident and the anemone is still hanging in there...How come since introducing him into the tank, he didn't attach himself to a rock?? Please help this newbie out... :(

How bad was the injury?
Did the foot get hurt?
Did you add guards to your PH's to prevent this from happening again?
Whats your lighting?
What kind of Anenome did you get?
What size Tank?

IMO 5 week old tank is not a mature tank, you should have waited until the tank was mature (12 months). These are not hardy creature, if the foot is hurt it may not be able to attatch itself to a rock and it may take days for this creature to find a spot that is comfortable.

Kaye

You are supposed to turn off the powerheads and pumps for about an hour to allow him time to attach without blowing around. However I have had this happen from them moving around and they have survived when all that was left was a slimy blob. And ditto on the new tank syndrome.. Have a little patience. you don't have to get it all at once.

I hope he does ok. Most Anemone's need a tank that has been setup and estabished for 6 months or better.

Mike

the ph have a (plastic) like screen to prevent things like fish from being suck in...the injury was more around the edge where the tentacles are...the foot is good STRONG and i have a 90 gal tank...I'm using the corellight system...it has 4 bulbs compact florencent..

As long as the foot is not damaged it may settle in. Just give it time and watch it close. I have a PH with a small plastic piece that attatches to the bottom but I also use a round sponge that slips on it for extra protection. My Larger PH I just bought a guard to go on it because it is more powerful and the plastic piece would not have been enough protection.
Watch the Anenome close and your water because this tank is considered new yet and these are sensative creatures.

Kaye

Hi and Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Honestly...you added an anemone to your system way too soon. These are very sensitive creatures that require an established reef tank and consistant, excillent water parameters. What type of anemone is it and what type of lighting do you have? Most anemones do not do well once injured. Good luck and keep us posted. remember...if this anemone dies and starts to decay in your tank, it could be back to sqare one.

Didn't make it...

It did not make it...I think my PH was at 7.8.... kinda low...but since then I have monitored my tank and added some buffers, maintaining the level at 8.2 ph. Lets see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom