Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
anemone vs. powerhead

I noticed a spot that was somewhat dead behind my rocks so I added a powerhead to get the water flowing through there better. Two days after I added the PH my anemone moved in the middle of the night and put his foot on it..... he actually moved a long way to get there. He put his foot on the top of it and one of his tentacles got sucked into a small gap in the output. I turned off the powerhead, got him off and reset him (he was back to normal in 15 min, no damage done). He has been set for two days now and my wife just called me at work and told me he was going for it again.

Now obviously, I don't want to loose the anemone so I told her to unplug the PH and I'd deal with it when I got home. So what should I do? Where I sat him he wasn't really in the flow of the intake or output. He has to physically remove his foot from the rock and squeeze through a hole that's just big enough for him to even get close to the thing (I have a fence of tonga around the PH and he is on a big piece of figi in front of that). So really, he is trying to get to the PH for some reason. Where I sat him has really good flow to begin with so I can't imagine why he would want to move..... any suggestions on what I can do to avoid him getting chopped up? a maroon clown host in him and it would be double terrible if anything happened to it..

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Cover the intake with foam.

*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
i woke up to find a brown slurpee where my water should have been one morning pulling the rest of the anemone out of the poerhead was enough to give up on them for now
so now i keep a foam cover over the intake but i have to reach in and clean it off every few days wich i annoying
i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Depending on what kind of PH you have, you may be able to use one of the filters made for the Aquaclear PH's. I would remove the inner core and filter pad and just use the outer shell. It is large enough to widely distribute the suction generated by the PH and the anemone shouldn't get pulled in. I know these will fit Aquaclear and Maxi Jet PH's...I'm sure it could be adapted to any brand though. I believe Hara fitted her PH's with a homemade version of this and it worked out well.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com