Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anemones

I got a question not trying to be stupid or anything but why do people seem to think anemones are so hard to keep and they keep moving them cause they secrete slime and what not I have a 90 gal with a 30 gallon refuguim and I am able to sustain a green carpet anemone which I stuck in my tank when my tank was only 2 months old and never had a problem when I got it it floated around and secreted stuff but I just left it alone and now it has double if not tripled in size since I got it 3 months ago along with my sebae anemone which is now like 18 inch when I got it it was only 10 inches I just don't understand who classifys the hardiness of these creatures and wonder if anyone else has had this same "luck" as people call it I think it is just making sure ur lights and flow are right correct?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had this luck too. My anemone is a sebae. I put it in my tank after a month and it hasn't died or anything.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I must admit, mine went in at 3 months and I've never had any problems. I've never even seen it secrete anything. It just sits there being a nem.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Keeping something alive 3 months is hardly a success. Let us know how it's doing in 5 yrs.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #5

Wow and then you have your doubter perfect example thanks for your two cents
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also have to agree though, the majority of nems kept in newly established tanks have issues. All you do is have to read the forum everyday and it seems people are more likely to fail than succeed. I had one for 3 months but returned him after stressing about it all the time.

I am just now a year later thinking of getting a mini maxi but will probably wait some more. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

And alot of people just get them because they feel their clown fish need one and are shocked and surprised when the clowns don't host it.

If the lighting is right and the water parameters are stable and good then a nem might not be such a bad idea, but it does require care. When I had mine he never stryed from his spot so he was happy but he eventually took over 1/3 of my 30g tank and nothing would swim even near it. I took that as a sign I want ready for it.

In a perfect world nems would be left to the oceans in my opinion as thats where they do the best and are the most beautiful.

just another view point for the debate.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #7

Try let me tell you my setup then I have aquatic life 48 inch 2X150w hdi metal halides with 2X54w t5 along with a oceanic chiller and coralife 125 ss coralife uv sterilizer 30 gallon refuguim with god knows what I had my tank professional put together with nothing but good products I spent 6,000 dollars on tank and all the gadgets so my stuffs right I have it professional maintained once a week and water changes with ro water
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you spend all your money on the tank that you can't afford punctuation? Haha. So you're saying that nems aren't hard to keep, but you spent over 6 g's on all the latest gadgets in order to keep nems....most people spend little and try to keep nems. Those are the ones that fail.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You didnt spare any expense and it will show as time goes on. But not everyone has that setup or even understands half of it. lol

Some people throw a nem in a 2.5 pico with 2 clowns and then wonder why it fails.

Everyone who wants a nem should do the proper research and buy the proper equipment for the best chance at survival.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you have it all under control.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #10

Haha sorry wasn't trying to be mean just saying no I spent all that after I had my first sw tank and wasn't able to do anything so I upgraded and wanted everything so I could do whatever I wanted and that is how the price jumped up.... I was trying to do a tank for my son who loves finding nemo and after I read over my previous statements sorry if I came off snappy.....

Tags
anemone, anemones

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com