Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I know how some people feel about them and their short lives in tanks, but for $30.00 I could not pass on a long tentacled one from my LFS. I acclimated it for 4 hours and placed it in the bottom of the tank on a rock at sand line on Friday, it is now Monday and it has not moved and seems to have doubled in size from the LFS.
The question is this, I bought cause my 2 clowns have been using the feather dusters as a host, and thought they might like the anemone better, but they are not even noticing it, even though it is right near the duster, they are tank hatched, is there anything I can do to influence them, or leave it be?

Leave it be. There is nothing you can do to intercede. One note though, the Macrodactyla doreensis is not considered a natural host for the A. percula. Even though they are TB, it is a misconception the clown will take to any host anemone that's placed in the tank. There is always a possibility a clown will accpet a given host WC, TR or TB but the odds are not in favor of it.

Cheers
Steve

I had a scare with a seabae some time ago that I bought not knowing any better. I can now say that it is as healthy as can be and host to my large maroon clown. It took a while for him to go to it, but now he won't leave it. The important thing in my opinion is to remember that if your clowns are not feeding the anemone to remember to feed it. I feed all mine every 3 days a mix of cut up silversides, mysis, and krill and they are doing great so far. They are truly beautiful creatures to watch. Good luck

Kevin

Found the reference:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some tank raised ocelleris sometimes are slow to accept an anemone. Here’s an amusing but effective trick: buy one of those plastic clownfish clips used for holding nori or lettuce and put it right by the anemone. Believe it or not, the clowns will think it is a fellow clownfish and swim to it. They may then take to the anemone. Strange as this sounds, I do not kid you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

from WetWebMedia http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm

Back
Top Bottom