Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read the following from an article -> "anemones need to be fed with brine shrimp, pieces of fresh fish, or shrimp, unless kept with a clownfish." Does this means that if kept with a clownfish. we dun have to feed the anemone?

What is the set up and livestock of the tank in question?

Cheers
Steve

Most anemones will benefit greatly by feeding them with peices of fresh shrimp and fish...When a Clown is involved, they will most likely drag food to the anemone at feeding time... I think a few people here have this happen at feeding time... You could still feed the anemone once a week, even if a Clown is involved, however, the Clown might defend its territory and nip at your hands... This would be normal though.. In any case, the anemone can only benefit from feeding, and will also grow faster and in some cases multiply.

What is the set up and livestock of the tank in question?

Unless it's a different tank....some details can be found >>here<< and >>here<<.

And to continue sounding like a broken record...have you taken care of the ammonia problem and reduced the number of fish in your tank?

Yes yes, i've reduced the amount of fishes by returning it to the LFS and the level of NH4 have been greatly reduced.

Anemones multiply in captivity? I've always heard such nightmares about how hard they are to keep alive. This is surprising.

Anemones multiply in captivity? I've always heard such nightmares about how hard they are to keep alive. This is surprising.

This varies among species but for the most part Bob's success is among the exceptions and not the norm. Hopefully, with more daughter colonies being produced, hardier anemones can be introduced commonly into the trade. Until then, mortality rates will likely remain high.

How do you get the food into the anemones mouth? My current is very chaotic, I am afraid it would get blown away.

Mine anemone is the bulb type, but they seems to have no mouth. Are those tentacles their mouth? Or is it the middle part of the anemone that have no tentacle?

i feed mind with the ornamental moving thing.. it's plastic and looks like a scissor.. hehe.. the anemone is very sticky though so i just drop it above the anemone and it catches it..

so what is your tank stocked with now?

How many fish do you have now? I don't think you should have added an anemone... but I could be wrong....

But normally the mouth is closed, how do i feed it? And one of the maroon clown loves to stay near the anemone mouth, will the anemone eat it?

Ok, at this point I would ask that you research the symbiotic relationships between Clown fish and Anemones...

Anemones usually do not eat the Clowns that live with them... We explained earlier in this post how to feed it.. Take a piece of shrimp and place it in the mouth. That is all you can do.

I do still suggest reading as much as you can about husbandry of Clown fish and their hosts..

it's cool to see an anemone eat.. you can see the mouth open up and swallow the whole thing.. sometimes it closes up and you can't see it.. i remember reading in a UK forum about a carpet anemone actually eating it's clown and other things in the tank..

Back
Top Bottom