Anemones for an Ocellaris Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of anemone should I get for my ocellaris clownfish? I want it to get along with stuff in a reef tank (there's nothing in there yet). Here's the lighting situation:
4 65 watt PC (2 10,000K daylight & 2 6,500 K Actinic)

i had a bulb tipped that an ocellaris took to. it took him quite some time to find it though. i think it was about 2-3 months.

You don't want to get an anemone until your tank is over a year old. By then, with a year's experience, you may understand the difficulty in keeping such an animal in a captive environment. Survival rates are dismally low. A large hairy mushroom, frogspawn coral, or other soft coral can host a clown fish and provide a good substitute for the symbiotic relationship between a clown and anemone without killing an anemone.
If after a year (when your tank is matured) and you want to have an anemone tank get a tank raised bubble tip. They are a little harder to find but are the best choice. Anemones are not really reef dwellers though, that's why they should be kept in a species tank. They are often found in the sand away from the coral reef structure.

Thanks for the information. Another quick question for you. After reading Mark's post about the clownfish adopting corals to have relationships with. Is it possible my fish has a relationship with the plants growing off my live rock (right now in my 7 month old 30 gallon)? He always lays on them and swims through them.

Back
Top Bottom