Anemones kill corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im not gonna add anemone anytime soon but im just wondering. Peoples say that anemones should be added after 6 months or so. I've heard that anemones have stinking cells that could damage corals and other creatures. So if in that 6 months of waiting, i add some corals, would the anemones that i am gonna add move around and kill all my corals?

Yes I think it can, and other corals can damage and even kill other corals as well.... you have to make sure what you have in your tank has enough space if it's aggressive, some sweepers can be really long I have read... an anemone, on the other hand, can walk about at it's own free will. Yikes!

So... if i want to have an anemone...i shouldn't have corals in my tank EVER since the corals will end up dieing anyway?

No, many or probably a bigger % of Reefers end up getting and keeping anemones with many beautiful corals, I'm just saying it's always a chance - atleast that is what I have read... and I think you are more apt to having corals sting corals, you just have to make sure you space them correctly... but look how packed tanks are, bursting with color, it can and is done all the time, just educate what can go with what :) That's what I'm doing right now... I want some hammer and frogspawn in a few weeks when I know the new tank is stable... but I don't want it killing the rest of my stuff that I want, so I'm reading away :) That's all... it can be done.

Anemones will annoy corals, that's true. They aren't the best choice for a coral tank due to that and the fact that they have the ability to move, stinging any corals in their way. So, keeping one is a risk you have to decide if you want to take. I've been lucky and keep a few in my reef tank. If your set on an anemone, I would suggest you get it first. Let it get acclimated and settled. After a few months if it seems the anemone isn't gonna move, then situate your corals around that. There is always a chance the anemone will move again and you may have to move your corals again so keep that in mind. But if your tank is stable, you keep up good husbandry and general maintenance, and no extreme changes in flow and lighting ect, the anemone won't be as prone to wandering.

Here's an example of what my anemone did to my xenia (the xenia did recover by the way)... :x

Attachments

• 1.result_of_anemone_sting_165.jpg
    1.result_of_anemone_sting_165.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.full_recovery_798.jpg
    2.full_recovery_798.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 44
ryguy said:
RealFF,

What happened to the pink tippied haitian you had? Did you take it back to the LFS?

Who, me?

Edit: NEVER MIND. It helps if I actually read who you addressed your question to... :roll:

Fluff hit the nail on the head. The key is establishing a good environment for the anenome and corals to co-exist. The key things would include lighting, water quality and flow. Once the anenome is settled and you maintain the environment it is less likely to move. When an anenome moves it is typically a sign that it is not happy and trying to find a better location. My three rock flowers have been stable for about 5 months now and I have placed corals around them with success.

ryguy, i returned it to the LFS. It wasn't happy in my tank so i let it go :)

I'll just wait til my tank is stable, then get a few anemones for my clowns. After everything is settle, i'll get some corals

Thanks for the advices guys

Back
Top Bottom