Anemonie Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new anemonie on a peice of live rock, he is super cool, but different from my other ones, who readily accept a nice chunk of shrimp.....This guy has no arms to speak of.....What should I feed him?

I use Kent Nano Reef for my sea fans and live rock, does this feed him too, or should I try feeding him meat?

P3300202.jpg

Thanks,

Billy

Epicystis crucifer will take to sparse feeding but given it's current locale, I doubt very much it will be able to respond that well. Try placing a small piece of raw meaty seafood near it's mouth and very gently hold it there until the anemone reponds closing up around it. Make sure the food offered is no larger than ½ the first digit on you pinky finger and no more than twice a week. If the anemone has only been in there a short while, it will most likely move higher or lower to orient itself based on lighting intensity/type.

Cheers
Steve

How often should other types of anemone be fed?

There are also VERY small anemones on other peices of live rock, some are big enough to eat tiny peices of shrimp, others of the same type are so small I cant even get them a peice of meat they can swallow....

How should I feed these?

SeeDemTails said:
How often should other types of anemone be fed?
Depends on the species and what else is in the tank currently being fed. With adequate lighting and casual "by catch" from fish feeding etc, most do not require much more than that. There is no "standard" answer for that.

There are also VERY small anemones on other peices of live rock, some are big enough to eat tiny peices of shrimp, others of the same type are so small I cant even get them a peice of meat they can swallow....

How should I feed these?
Identify them first. You could actually end up feeding a nuisance hitchiker (hydroid/majano/aiptasia) and make a mountain of a mole hill. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

They are small and brown with long arms......pretty much perfect looking brown little anemones. Act the same as my bigger ones.

I will post a pic later.

Could be true, hydroids are still a possibility as well.

Cheers
Steve

Hehe, I used to make sure that my Aiptasia got something to eat when feeding the tank. Didn't know what a pain they are :oops:

Now I still feed them, but only kalkwasser or Real Lemon. Live and learn.

How are they harmful?....They look cool to me, and there are only 2 of them, and on one peice of live rock.

Heck I dont even know what they are yet though, I promise I will post a pic later tonight when I get home.

Two today could be 20 next week. If they are aiptasia they will out compete almost everything for space to grow. They are nasty stinging anemone's to everything they come into contact with.

I have a feeling that you guys are gonna tell me to kill them.......
P3270178.jpg

Better do it before my GF gets home! She loves EVERYTHING in the tank!

So I should kill the anemone and of course keep the feather duster.

What kind of a load do anemones put on a small reef tank?...are they messy?...I notice white slimy stuff floating around sometimes that comes from my biggest anemone...is this harmful?

I have 3, one big one and two little ones, and I want to get one more little one, can I do it, or would that be to many for a 10 gal?

One is really too many for a 10 gal tank. The species you have now will do somewhat okay but don't push your luck. :wink: As far as the aips, get rid of all of them.

As for the slime, it's just that. The thing to be wary of is the release of chemical toxins/nematocysts. Be sure to use carbon as often as possible, preferabley 24/7 changed weekly. It will improve water clarity and remove unseen toxins that will irritate other inhabitants.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom