anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to buy an anenome for my 90 gallon. I have seen them at the LFS, some attached some not. The one I am looking at is not attached to anything. What do i need to do once i have it to get it stabelized on something like my live rock?

Not attaching to anything is a sign of stress. Provide it with pristine water conditions, more than ample light to feed the photosynthetic zooxanthellia that are absolutely necessary for it's survival. Do not overfeed your anemone and make sure that you have sufficient water flow. But you can't force it or coax it to attach to anything. Also be aware that the little pains will move where ever it wants, including into your prize patch of Zoas that you have lovingly tended to for months.

So just place it in the tank and let it do it's thing? I am concerned that with all the water movement it won't have any luck, just a concern.

Yep. Pretty much. They will go where they want to go. That's the problem with mobile inverts. They will go where ever they want even if where they end up is bad.

Anemones are harder to keep than many corals. They require lots of light and pristine water, save for the pest anemones. Which corals do you currently have, if any?

Right now just mushroom and Kenya tree coral. 5 month old tank, trying to take my time on what I want. Actually at this point I only have two clowns and two gopi's. Still thinking on the live stock.

The general consensus is no tank under a year old for nems. They are actually really difficult to care for and unestablished tanks are hard to keep stable. My suggestion would be to scrap the nem and try frogspawn. Similar look... Less likely to die and kill your entire tank. But... It's your tank. If you do decide to go for it make sure the specimen is good. What type of
Nem is it? Condylactis? Bubble tip? Carpet?

Okay... Make sure that the condylactis isn't bleached out. A super white Condy is lacking most of it's zooxanthella. It will not be able to live a long or healthy life if it isn't able to produce energy photosynthetically. It should be a nice tannish color if it's healthy. Also... Don't buy it expecting it to host clown fish. Condy's aren't really that kind of anemone. They also get really big. I have one in my 75 gallon. It's twice the size as it was when I bought it. The fact that it isn't attached to anything isn't good. Ours attached in about 30 minutes of being in our tank. It has moved up onto a rock that we don't want it on and despite moving the rock... It stays. Our tank is more than 5 years old and our water conditions stay really stable.

A pic of ours. It's actually a lot darker than it looks in the photo.

Attachments

• image-3745473408.jpg
    image-3745473408.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 126
Well thanks for all the knowledge! So no white and its better if its attached to something already. I will have to put more thought into it.

Back
Top Bottom