anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusAaron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks like my nem has found it's home in my eels cave. He's not happy bout it lol. Is there any way anyone has found that works best to entice clowns to host it. I have read about people using mirrors. is this affective

she found it

ForumRunner_20120527_175204.jpg

But now bashes up anything that goes close. Including the smaller orange clown who I thought was her mate :(

Hopefully. Otherwise I might have to see if the lfs will trade it for another bw instead of ow. Thought I had done well with the black and white and orange and white pairing. But looking like they may not have :(

Even if they were both b&w, she would probably do the same thing. I've heard of this before on this site. I would give it a little time.

Just give it time. The females guard their home like no other. My tp and bw clown host my welso. It took a while before the bw could get close tho.

how are you able to tell if it is a male or female? The guy at the pet store had told me they were asexual and so eventually the females with turn into males. Is this true?

My clown fish has been picking on everything in my tank too, anything that goes close to my sabe anemone anyway. I would see how they do over the course of the next few days... the orange and white one will either eventually get the hint or the black and white clown fish will become more adapting.

The larger more dominant are female to my knowledge. I picked both out of pairs. But nothing to say they were. Got the larger bw and smaller ow. yes they do change sex. I think I remember somewhere saying that they are all born male but when the time comes the larger more dominant will turn female when paired. and there was something about not changing back. think it was once female can't change back. But not 100%

AusAaron said:
The larger more dominant are female to my knowledge. I picked both out of pairs. But nothing to say they were. Got the larger bw and smaller ow. yes they do change sex. I think I remember somewhere saying that they are all born male but when the time comes the larger more dominant will turn female when paired. and there was something about not changing back. think it was once female can't change back. But not 100%

That's correct... The bigger one becomes the female, if the female dies, then a male will take her place.

Correct in clowns- say a group of 15- the largest is female- the next male and the rest unsexed. In the event of a death of the female- tue male turns female and the next dominant turns male. Anthias are opposite with the largest male and all others female. The wanatabe angel (one of the few reef safe angels) are the same way.

Jlsardina said:
Correct in clowns- say a group of 15- the largest is female- the next male and the rest unsexed. In the event of a death of the female- tue male turns female and the next dominant turns male. Anthias are opposite with the largest male and all others female. The wanatabe angel (one of the few reef safe angels) are the same way.

Fascinating

Back
Top Bottom