Anenome Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IworkatPSP

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wow, we just got one of these in at work (LFS). It's the coolest thing I've seen, after about 2 days, it picked up the tentacle aneneme and put it on the back of his shell. Supposedly the crab feeds intraveinously through little "nipples" on his back.

It may be old to some, but to me I was amazed!

The Anenome is actually on the back of the crab. It looks like a normal hermit crab, but on the back of its shell there are 2 little black "nipples" for lack of a better term.

Anemone hermits are fairly aggressive from what I've heard. Also they aren't reef safe since they climb over corals and the anemone stings the corals. There are also something called staghorn hermits that host a peice of coral, which is pretty cool too.

I got a couple of staghorns a few weeks ago. Lot's of fun. They stay completely out front in the sand and not on the rocks at all. They are really cool and don't take anything off the other hermits, never backing down.

Yeah the coral grows and the crab stays there for life, excessing the pcs of coral he may no longer need so I understand.

Back
Top Bottom