Anenome question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hakan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I was at my lfs today looking at anemones for my clowns to hopefully host...
ive only got 2 18w power compacts in my tank.
My lfs says that once the clowns host it they dont require light. is this true.
am i better off starting from easy to look after corals and then introduce the anemone. or should i go ahead and purchase the anemone this weekend?

Thanks for the help

I am no expert but I don't think that is even close to enough light. Anemones require a ton of light to keep healthy (regardless of a clown hosting) and pristine water quality. Your lfs is trying to make a sale. I would stick to low light corals with your setup, such as zoanthids or mushrooms. Plus your tank needs to be very stable (at least a year old) to successfully support anemones. I hope this helps.

ok, thanks for the reply guys.
Would my lighting support a bubbletip?
Or perhaps a rock flower anemone i have read they are much easier to take care of.(much hardier than other anemones)

Rock anemones don't require as much light as a bubbletip. Anemones shouldn't go in a tank less than 1 year old and not all anemones can be hosted. There is a good chance your clown will host a mushroom. I am thinking of getting rid of my clown because it bothers one of my acans.

Yep, I wouldn't even think of a nem this early on. I had one when I first started and I ended up returning it. My clowns didn't go near it and it was way too much worry for me. lol

My clowns are all hosting an elegance coral now. They are hit or miss on hosting anything so I wouldn't go out of my way to get a nem.

I remember you condy Carey! Lol, as everyone else has said, absolutely false. Your LFS is just trying to make a sale, and that is really disappointing. Thank you for deciding to do some research instead of just purchasing based on what the LFS told you. Welcome to AA!

thanks heaps guys save an anemone from dying and saved myself some money...

Ill stick to mushrooms for now eheheh

Back
Top Bottom