Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
had the anemone been healthy, it probably would have eaten the shrimp
ROFL!

Exactly. That's where all my shrimp went (5 of them). They would get sooo close to the anemone that their feelers would get stuck, trying to steal food. I think they finally became food. Probably a very healthy snack for the LT.

Mark

Old 10-21-2002, 09:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to MaggiesGame
Now I feel like crap, after reading all of this. A week ago, my husband brought home a (cloned) bubble tip for the clowns. I've only had the tank 7 or 8 months and wasn't really ready for that. BUT, was a gift, so I put it in the tank (pics are in gallery). The 2nd day I had it, it ate a good bit of krill. I haven't been able to get it to eat since. The only time the clowns go near it is to steal the food I'm trying to feed it. I've tried krill, shrimp, clam, and even some frozen Formula One. What do I do? I hate to see it die.
Tank condition is near perfect.....everything at 0, ph-8.4

Old 10-21-2002, 09:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
lighting?

Jacob
Old 10-21-2002, 09:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

4 55w MH's.......It moved around a bit and for the last couple of days, it's been hanging upside down under a ledge. It doesn't seem to like the light at all.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
wat size tank?

Jacob
Old 10-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why does the size of my tank matter? It's a 55
Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesGame
Why does the size of my tank matter? It's a 55
Well, 4 X 55W PC is not the same on a 125g tank as it is on a 55g tank It is quite possible the anemone was not from a tank that had the intensity of lighting that you do. BTAs are wanderers as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out all by itself in a few weeks. I had one disappear for a couple of months one time, to reappear (much smaller) and find a spot it was happy and stay. Do not move the anemone yourself. It will only stress the animal (and possibly damage/injure it) and it will move back to where it wants to anyway.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

No, I haven't touched it...was just mainly concerned with it not eating. Could the fact that it's hanging upside down make a difference? That makes it really hard to feed.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:41 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anemone keeping/ supplements

michealprater,
I believe anemones need good, direct food, and water that is as close to REAL seawater as is possible.

Anemones are strange critters. I've had some practical experience with keeping them however. First, I don't think that supplements are necessarily the answer as much as believed, but rather the quality and turn over of water. I don't mean gallons per hour, but rather NEW water replacing old water. Second, anemones feed via direct capture, by indirect "netting", which is more similar to how barnacles or mussels feed, and by sugar-producing microorganisms (zooxanthallee)within the anemone.
If you think about natural sea environments, water is relatively in infinite supply, and always "new" relative to a sedintary animal like an anemone. This natural water is constant, and balanced always, but there are not supplements. The anemone lives fine because of renewal water.
Now, since aquariums are finite, you primarily need to provide water that is as closely similar to real sea water as possible. This is where you need to actually do "trial an error" rather than research. Some animals will simply do better that others, despite the conditions of your tank.
I said I had practical experience....I did research in college with anemones. These were animnals from the coast of California. They had less light than anemones in the "wild". They even had filtered "cages" keeping them from filtering plankton and small food via their tentacles, thereby restricting "netting". I specifically was looking at simple growth, as measured by weight. In my research, I realized I had a unique system to work with. All my anemones were housed in a system that used sand-filtered sea water directly from the ocean. Also, 50% of my anemones had "expelled" their zooxanthallee algae because the anemone had been kept in the dark too long over a weekend. Therefore, they had NO commensilistic algae to produce sugar food for them, and light became a non-factor. What I found was my anemones did better with direct capture, or in my case, "hand feeding" fish parts to my anemones directly. Even the anemones without the algae thrived and grew more than anemones that had better light !!
Finally, I took some of my best anemones home, and kept them for over 3 years in my aquarium with tropical South Pacific fish. I used the same sand-flitered seawater in my aquarium as was in the lab. I only did water changes of 10-20% every 3 months! I fed the anemones with direct food, and sometimes brine shrimp. Remember, this was in '78....I had an undergravel filter, but no additional canister filter, no protein skimmer, no wet-dry. I NEVER gave any kind of supplement to them. I beleive it to be the water and food, and, probably that the anemones off the California coast are hardier. They are subject to greater shifts in salinity, heat, ammonia and siltation in tide pools.
Just to let you know, I also love anemones, but realized that most of the species available from the warm waters of tropical saltwater didn't do well in my systems. They would move all over the tank, and end up "shrinking" away to nothing.
Sorry for the ramble on, but I would gladly share what I know if you want to e-mail me your questions at: Fishfansea@aol.com

Good luck

Gary (Fishwick)
Old 10-23-2002, 07:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

nice fish..

I agree supplements are bad. I hve more bad then good mainly cause they degrade water quality thus killin the anemone from lack of proper conditions.. I feed mine shrimp..

as for hard to feed? why? does it not take the food? you should just "dangle" the food by uit and it should get a tentacle to "touch" it and it should be good from there and be ablet o hold onto it..

in the wk or so i have had mine it has thrown me thru loops.. I thuink its dieing but its not its just how it acts.. very interesting creatures first time i saw mine shrink up i thoiught it was deingin when it was only preparing to give off waste.. well just much to learn..

Jacob

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com