Anenome Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anemone feeding

Jacob,

Depending on what kind of shrimp you feed them they may not really be getting the kind of actual dietary requirements. Try this.

In a blender, put some snapper or salmon fish scraps, spinich, frozen bay shrimp, and maybe some canned clams. Make a slurry and then pour in onto a piece of foil an freeze it. No you can slice peices of the frozen mix up and melt it in a cup of water, and using a plastic turkey baster, you know that thing with the squeeze bulb on the end, "blow" the mix right onto the tentacles of the anemone. You can even "force feed" the anemone by insertting the tip of the baster in the mouth of the anemone. You can also take a frozen peice and use a plastic wand and place it on the tentacles or mouth.
I usually found this to be quite successful for feeding anemones.

Force Feed? I would think you would hurt the anemone by this process no??

Umm I myself plan on NOT using foods like that.. As I have heard more horror storires then not of ppl starting to use that way of gfeeding. I plan on sticking iwht solid foods and ifd my anemone doesn't want it ti doens't want it..

yea.. thats my opinion.. if u can sow me strong proof otherwise I will retract my statement.. but I guess we all have our opinions..

Jacob

Anemone feeding

Jacob,
I don't mean you blast the contents into the anemone. "force feed" is a phrase to mean placing food directly into the mouth of an animal, and let it take it in. The baster is merely a way to direct food onto the anemone so that it doesn't go all over the tank, there by wasting food and increasing the poetenial for extra uneaten food in the tank to rot and foul the tank. You DELICATELY place the tip over the tentacles or opening of the mouth of the anemone using the blaster. Like feeding a small nestling bird from an eye dropper.
As far as proof, I don't think you are I will find that, but I can tell you it works great, and it is completely harmless to the anemone. I kept anemones for years and it works fine.

Whatever

Ahh not quite sure can we get some other opinions on this?.. From wat I have read thats not a good thing to do but wat does every1 else do?

Jacob

I think the phrase of force feeding is what may have sounded a bit harsh. The more popular term would be "target feeding". I am a newbie, by no means an expert, but I have talked to many people that do use a target feeding method with liquid products. My logic dictates to me that if a) you have decent water current b) regular food source, ie: feeding each day
with quality food, then the creature would be able to feed. I think the target feeding makes the aquarium owner feel a little better as they think
they are making sure the creature eats. (that would be why I would do it)
Just my nickles worth.....

In a blender, put some snapper or salmon fish scraps, spinich, frozen bay shrimp, and maybe some canned clams. Make a slurry and then pour in onto a piece of foil an freeze it. No you can slice peices of the frozen mix up and melt it in a cup of water, and using a plastic turkey baster

This is a great idea, leave some chunks and it will make a great homemade fishfood, it will also feed your filterfeeding inverts. It will not, however, benefit your anemones. Anemones gain very little benifit from any type of liquid foods, they are large capture prey animals and need large solid foods, such as whole shrimp, clams, scallops and fish etc...The head, eyes gut portion etc are important and nutritious for your anemone, so don't cut it out.

You can even "force feed" the anemone by insertting the tip of the baster in the mouth of the anemone. You can also take a frozen peice and use a plastic wand and place it on the tentacles or mouth.

This is a very bad idea. You should never force feed an anemone. Even if done gently, as suggested, it is still force feeding, the risk of damaging the anemone as well as adding undo stress, is tremendous, if this method is employed. Anemones can be finicky as to the foods they will eat, I suspect they will tend to eat foods that are high in minerals and vitamins that they are lacking in the aquariums water (that is why some BTAs will eat shrimp, but others won't touch it). Therefore, you may not benefit the anemone by forcing a food it doesn't want/need, not to mention the anemone will simply expel the unwanted food. This will just add to the bioload rather than reduce it.

Well, glad to say that my bta FINALLY ate today! It does refuse the shrimp, but loved the frozen Formula One and the scallop. It was obvious it was very hungry too. That chunk of scallop disappeared instantly, while previously, it would try and hold onto the food and either the clowns would swipe it or it would just eventually let go of it.
Thanks for your input everyone. :B-fly:

nickles worth, hara?

why i remember when an opinion only cost two cents...

i'm getting old

Well not trying to start a feud just stating sum1 else agreed.. take it how u like...

Umm good news maggie..how often do u plan to feed it maggie? I do not feed mine again till I see that it had released the old shrimp... thats just me. wat do u plan to do.

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom