Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2002, 06:49 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Anenome Question

I was wondering what supplements do anenomes thrive on. I know lighting is very important, but I was looking for something that will increase there growth and overall health.

Old 10-03-2002, 06:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Anenome Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater
I was wondering what supplements do anenomes thrive on.
Research

Quote:
I know lighting is very important,
It is, as well as water quality, and many other considerations.

Quote:
but I was looking for something that will increase there growth and overall health.
Being left in the ocean is probably the best thing. If that isn't an option, I would recommend a book, and alot of research (there is that word again) on the particular type of anemone you wish to keep. It is not recommended that you attempt an anemone until your tank is matured at least a year.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
aha Kevin I remember when you told me the very same thing nearly a yr ago

My tank is amlost 1 yr old (not really sure lol) and I am just now getting rteady to attempt a anemone. I plan on putting one in my 15 gallon wiht 5.3wpg in it..

but yes RESEARCH i have in the past and am now researching my *** off.. bout these things..

do you have one already? sound lsike u do by ure questions.. if so wat tank lighting? maturity? trates? trites? Amonnia? salinity? and all those other good stuff

Jacob
Old 10-04-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
i was asking the question to try refine my research some. My tank has been up for over 2 yrs. thanks for the help anyway.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
0 amm, 0 nitrite, close to 0 nitrate. Feed them.

If you don't get a healthy specimen to start with, the chances of survival are slim. Methods of collection and shipping are such that specemins are often found in very poor condition at the LFS. It is heartbreaking to see these otherwise (practically) immortal beings pulled from the ocean only to die a few short months later. There is one anemone that I know is regularly tank propogated though. Bubble tip or Entacmaea quadricolor has been tank raised from clones. Attempt to find one of these if you want to try anemone.

Mark
Old 10-04-2002, 07:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater
i was asking the question to try refine my research some. My tank has been up for over 2 yrs. thanks for the help anyway.
I am sorry if you found my post lacking, we tend to get on a soapbox about anemones around here, there are a couple of musical soapboxes that you'll find as you go. To be honest, I would like to hear more about your system before I recommend anything. Marks post was also right on the money, course he is Anemoneman. Please provide more specific info on what you have, what your system is and what anemone you would ultimately like to keep.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:00 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
another silly question time....

Why is it that the tank has to be "OLD" to house anemone? My ignorance tells me that when things are right, they are right, if you care for your tank well enough. What am I missing? I bought the one that died and it looked healthy to me when I got it. I know the shrimp were abusing it and tried to save it, but from what I am reading, you guys are telling me it would have died anyway. I am not following the thought process.
(sometimes you have to hit me in the head with a brick for things to sink in).

And when I read that a certain type is ok for beginners, I should not believe that either?

I only want to do the right thing here, but I also want reasons for the seasons, that is how I learn.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:21 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
another silly question time....

Why is it that the tank has to be "OLD" to house anemone? My ignorance tells me that when things are right, they are right, if you care for your tank well enough. What am I missing? I bought the one that died and it looked healthy to me when I got it. I know the shrimp were abusing it and tried to save it, but from what I am reading, you guys are telling me it would have died anyway. I am not following the thought process.
(sometimes you have to hit me in the head with a brick for things to sink in).

And when I read that a certain type is ok for beginners, I should not believe that either?

I only want to do the right thing here, but I also want reasons for the seasons, that is how I learn.
Old is not the way I would put it, I'd say mature. New tanks are unstable. Stability is just one of the factors that is extremely important to an anemones health. After the tank has been up for a year, it has more than likely stabalized and you have learned to read your tank. You know when something is off, because of the way the tank looks, although you might not be able to point to something specific. In a years time your tank will reveal to you whether it is going to have nitrate issues or phosphate isuues or any other issues, all of which can be determined by the way the tank was setup, the aquascaping, etc...All of this plays a role and all will impact the overall health and stability of the tank. In a new aquarium, levels may be right, but decline over time. I can't tell you how many reefers I know that did not have any problems with hair algae, until their tanks were 1 yr to 18 mos old,but the contributing factors to the algae problem, could be traced back to the day the tank was setup, the way it was setup, or the maintenance of the tank over that period of time. Another factor in encouraging people to wait, is that as the tank matures, they gain experience, anemones are not for new aquarists. I would venture to say that one of the biggest factors for hobbiests getting into S/W is the clownfish/anemone relationship. This means that a very large number of people are going to begin the hobby with a clown and an anemone, and know very little about the care of either. Most will fail, some will have success, but most will fail. In that years time, they might have learned of groups like these, they may have learned that their LFS, could not be totally trusted for info on the care of anemones, they may have learned that a good 80%-90% of the host anemones that are harvested from the ocean, die within a couple of months in captivity, and as Mark said, these creatures are virtually immortal, if left in the ocean.

I hope I've answered your questions, and I hope that trip up to the soapbox didn't offend. BTW, I am curious as to why you bought a Sebae (Heteractis crispa) anemone? Was it the beautiful contrast of the tips v. the stark white body?

Old 10-04-2002, 08:31 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The anemone itself looked so very peaceful and inspiring to me. I know that is an odd description. The purple tips and the white base were beautiful, but its movement was very graceful..almost like it was doing a water ballet.
As far as the clown/anemone relationship, to be honest, that did not really have a part in it as the anemone was so small to begin with, I did not feel it would happen anytime soon, if it ever did.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:39 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
The anemone itself looked so very peaceful and inspiring to me. I know that is an odd description. The purple tips and the white base were beautiful, but its movement was very graceful..almost like it was doing a water ballet.
I can certainly understand that. I asked, because I was almost certain, you received your anemone in the condition that 99% of H. crispas are received. A healthy H. crispa is a very plain looking anemone, it is a straw to brown color, usually washing out the color of the tips. The white base is a sign of bleaching and a sign of an unhealthy H. crispa. I concur with Guy's assesment that the shrimp was not at fault, unless you got camels instead of peppermints, then they might actually have attacked the anemone. In an ecosystem, a unhealthy specimen is fair game, had the anemone been healthy, it probably would have eaten the shrimp.

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com