anenome question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, ill hope not to be repetitive...... but i have a question. i went to one of the many LFS by me and a lady saw me looking at a long tentacle anenome and asked if i wanted to add one, and i told her my lighting wasnt good enough. she then explained to me that if i have a glass bottom i can add power glow lights and the anemome should be pretty good. yet she didnt have the lights in and i went to another LFS for a second hand opinion. he said power glo might be ok but i should buy a Coralife 50/50 light, which is 50% daylight at 6000k and 50 actinic 03 blue. now i have 2 hoods with 18'' lights, so i bought to. my live rock reaches about half way to the top of the tank and its a 55gal. you guys think an anenome will be ok too?

The lighting issue needs to meet at least three watts per gallon...however that three watts per gallon is met. Power compact bulbs are very efficient in packing good wattage. So with a 55 gallon tank, you would need at least 165 watts of lighting. Preferrably more. Between 4 and 5 watts per gallon is best.

So when u say the 3 watts per gallon is met does that mean ill be alright?

a power compact would be nice, my birthday is on its way.... ;)

but while reading online the anenomes i would want say that they only need "moderate" light, as long as it will host my clown fish.... lol

I do not agree with 3 watts per gal for a anemone, Maybe TCT has some personal experience with this but I have never heard of that being enough.

You need to count the total wattage of lighting you have fitted on the tank. Do not skimp on lighting when it comes to anemones. The three watts per gallon is a guide to avoid having too little lighting. As I stated before, 4 to 5 watts per gallon is preferred. This method has always proved successful. High light coral such as acropora require 7 to 9 watts per gallon. Deep reef coral do not require much lighting and can do well in any light that isn't bright. Anemones, mushrooms, polyps and such do best between 4 and 5 watts per gallon, but nothing less than three watts per gallon for any coral with exceptions of deep reef coral.

"Moderate" lighting in reef terms is the lowest on the so many watts per gallon scale. You have to count and add up the wattage you currently have. I can't do this for you.

This type of math is important for a reef. Anemones and corals that are photosynthetic rely on the lighting to grow a zooanthellae algae in their tissues. This is what gives these coral their browns and greens. This algae is then converted into sugar which tends to the animal's metabolism. If these animals are deprived of proper lighting, they start to lose their color and fade to a slow death...sometimes taking up to a year to die from lack of proper lighting.

Even when an anemone is hosted by a clown or some other fish, it does not suppliment the elements it gets from the lights. BTW...there are no guarantees a clown will host and if they are paired, you still have to have proper lighting and supplimental feeds of regular food such as squid about once or twice a week to keep them healthy.

Three watts per gallon is just enough to keep the majority of coral and anemones from withering to a flourescent color. It's a guideline. Not an absolute figure. I have kept many coral and anemones with as little as three watts per gallon without any problems. It's a typical 'rule of thumb' that actually works. It allows people to do the math quickly in figuring the lowest amount of light to have. Most end up with more as they should. The coral and anemones will grow faster in more lighting, but three watts per gallon isn't going to kill them unless they are high light specific like acropora or tuck themselves into a dark area and not come out.

ok so how do i go about calculation my wpg? i have the 2 lights which are 18'' at 15w each. i dont think that comes to 3wpg, idk if i am doing the math right?

2 lights which are 18'' at 15w each
That is roughly .5 watts per gal. You need around 250-300 watts for your tank.
I promise you that 3 wpg of NO florescents is not enough for a anemone. Maybe someone else will post to this thread.

oh ok thanks alot, ill take these lights back since it seems to be a waste of 22$ a peice....

so i take it to be able to get better lights i need a new hood?

How deep is the tank and what length? How long has the tank been established? What's you "ideal" budget?

Cheers
Steve

OK. You have two lights at 15 watts. That's 15 times 2 which equals 30. You need nothing short of 165 watts minimum...250 watts total preferred for your tank. You won't be reaching that with regular flourescent bulbs. You need power compacts.

For your sized tank and what your initial goal is with lighting,

Here is a discontinued light fixture that's incredibly cheap.

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=829

Somewhere in the site there are replacement bulbs that are also heavily discounted (they are Custom Sea Life fixtures. The company made changes and are getting rid of the old stock). This would be the size that would fit your tank (48" is typical for a 55 gallon...may want to double check that). It is fitted with four 65 watt power compact bulbs (two daylights/2 actinics) and a moon light for night time (looks real cool). This would give you 260 watts, which would be just fine for an anemone and many types of coral.

Don't panic. It'll be just fine. What do you have in your tank? Types of fish and inverts like shrimp and crabs?

Back
Top Bottom