Anenome Suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home tonight and immediately noticed that the tank was making a funny noise. Upon inspection I immediately noticed one of my two Condy anenome imbedded in the rio pump of my CPR BAK PAK 2 :( .

Unfortunately there was not much left. I removed and rinsed the pump and cleared what was left of the anenome. When I restarted the filter a white cloud appeared.

I am heating my pre-mixed water now to do a water change. I have no idea how long the filter was down. Of course my family who where all home for a snow day did not notice anything.

There are no visible signs of distress from the fish of other inverts. I will check the water before going to bed.

Anything I should watch out for? Is anyone familiar with a way to prevent this from happening again without diminishing the performance of the pump?

TIA,

Some people use the sponge on the intake. I've had that happen twice and I just put the blob from the pump into the fuge and it wasn't dead. Came right back after a couple weeks. If it just happened today it probably won't cause any problems with your water after the water change.

Sorry to hear about your lose. Now is the time to be procactive with damage control. Do a 20% water change and be ready to do another. Start running a good amount of GAC and change it every tow or three days until things are back to normal. Do NOT wait until you see a change in water parameters before you start to treat this. Start now and stay ahead in the game.

Thanks guys,

The water change is complete and all seems OK for now, but I do have more water being prepped if needed tomorrow. I always run GAC anyway, but I changed it tonight.

Water parameters are all normal and all inhabitants are acting normal.

Unfortunately there was not much left of the anenome and I did not want to chance further contaminating my system so I disposed of the remnants. Not sure how I would fit a sponge over the intake on the rio unless there is one specially made for it that I am not aware of.

Plan to get up early and check things one more time before I leave for work.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

I bought a sponge filter designed as filter media for a smaller unit and sliced a cross slit on the end and slid it over the intak to the power head. Worked like a charm.

JG

I think I may have fixed the problem. I added the pre-skimmer box to my CPR BAK PAK 2. In addition to helping the skimming process it should keep the anenome away from the intake.

Back
Top Bottom