anenomes and lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i went to alot of LFS around my areas questioning about an anenome for my tank, they all said i needed more lighting than what i have (2 50/50 30wats) except for one lady who had the largest selection of anenomes i have seen, she INSISTED my lights were decent and could house anenomes, just not corals. so i bought an atlantic sea anenome. its been in my tank for about a month and a week and has been doing just fine, i learned anenomes can move lol, he likes to hide between rocks. now my clowns wont house in this anenome so i want gonna take it back and get a sebae (which that lady said would be fine). my question is does anybody, or has anybody had any anenomes like that with the minimum lighting i have? i have a 55gal tank btw

That is no where near enough light for a anemone. The fish store was just trying to make a sell. It will do fine for a month or two. It will eventually start to bleach and eventually die.

I agree that isn't enough light for anemones except maybe for some non hosting types like tube anemones. As mentioned, over time your anemone will loose color. It will also shrink up in size. The fact that the one you have now is hiding within the rockwork could be a sign of stress because it's not happy. Also, an anemone on the move is an unsettled/unhappy anemone. It's moving in search of a better enviroment. Lighting is very important to most anemones and their health.

Back
Top Bottom