Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anenomes need moving. How do you do it?

I have 2 Ritteri? anenomes. They are massive. 40 to 50cm across. They are in the middle of the tank and I would like to get them out and put them closer to the bottom because they are taking up to much room where they are and also stinging my corals and clams. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
generally use a credit card or something like that to unstick the foot of the anemone.. once you do that..carefully peel it off the rock.. if you damage the foot.. u'll be in trouble so make sure its done slowly..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #3

Thanks heaps. I'll give it a go.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wuld re-think moving the anemone. They are very good at finding places they like, with proper flow and light. Damage to the foot is a major concern when moving them. It may just end up back in the same spot anyways.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #5

I haven't moved them yet. I rearranged a few things in the tank away from the anenomes, but the thing is, when they shrink the room they leave looks so empty. I'll look at them tomorrow and make up my mind. Eventually they will have to be moved because they are TOO BIG. My 9 tank raised clowns love them. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try chaning the environment, move PH's to point in other directions etc... That may force them to move.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
From my reading on clams, I do not think they are affected by anemone.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #8

I agree with Lando in that if the foot gets damaged in any way, it can lead to death for the anemone. Any anemone packs a certain punch when brushed up against and with that I can imagine that it could kill corals and such. ????

I am with changing the environment also. It is the least destructive measure for something like this.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
steve-s

Actually with a Ritteri you will be wasting your time. No matter what flow conditions you provide to the contrary of it's comfort it will still want to be in the highest place in the tank. Even if that ends up on the side of the glass hovering near the top so watch you skimmer and powerhead intakes.

I can assure you, there is no way a Ritteri will stay on the bottom! You are better off relocating the rock it's on to an alternate location factoring light intensity/flow. Anything else will just frustrate you.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #10

OK! This is what I have done. I rearranged the tank around the anenomes. I bought some LR today and boxed them in so they won't spread out as much. Now both of them look like skateboard ramps. Actually the tank looks much better. It took forever to do it. Thanks everyone for replying.

Tags
anenome, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com