Anenomes need moving. How do you do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penhryn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Ritteri? anenomes. They are massive. 40 to 50cm across. They are in the middle of the tank and I would like to get them out and put them closer to the bottom because they are taking up to much room where they are and also stinging my corals and clams. Any help would be appreciated.

generally use a credit card or something like that to unstick the foot of the anemone.. once you do that..carefully peel it off the rock.. if you damage the foot.. u'll be in trouble so make sure its done slowly..

I wuld re-think moving the anemone. They are very good at finding places they like, with proper flow and light. Damage to the foot is a major concern when moving them. It may just end up back in the same spot anyways.

I haven't moved them yet. I rearranged a few things in the tank away from the anenomes, but the thing is, when they shrink the room they leave looks so empty. I'll look at them tomorrow and make up my mind. Eventually they will have to be moved because they are TOO BIG. My 9 tank raised clowns love them. Thanks for your help.

Try chaning the environment, move PH's to point in other directions etc... That may force them to move.

From my reading on clams, I do not think they are affected by anemone.

I agree with Lando in that if the foot gets damaged in any way, it can lead to death for the anemone. Any anemone packs a certain punch when brushed up against and with that I can imagine that it could kill corals and such. ????

I am with changing the environment also. It is the least destructive measure for something like this.

Actually with a Ritteri you will be wasting your time. No matter what flow conditions you provide to the contrary of it's comfort it will still want to be in the highest place in the tank. Even if that ends up on the side of the glass hovering near the top so watch you skimmer and powerhead intakes.

I can assure you, there is no way a Ritteri will stay on the bottom! You are better off relocating the rock it's on to an alternate location factoring light intensity/flow. Anything else will just frustrate you.

Cheers
Steve

OK! This is what I have done. I rearranged the tank around the anenomes. I bought some LR today and boxed them in so they won't spread out as much. Now both of them look like skateboard ramps. Actually the tank looks much better. It took forever to do it. Thanks everyone for replying.

Back
Top Bottom