Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a bi colored angel this weekend and I found it dead this morning. All of my water parameters and other fish are good so I am just assuming that it was the angel. Has anyone had similar experience with these fish? This was the first fish that I have had die in my tank so I am wondering if it was the fish and not me. Thanks!

I used a method that others on this forum have recommended. Slowly adding a shot glass of water to the bag every 10 min. or so for an hour. He was doing well the first 2 days I had him in the tank. He was swimming and eating but when I woke up this morning he was on the bottom and the hermit crabs were eating him.

I have about 50 lbs in my 75 gal tank. Maybe I should have done a little more research on the fish before I bought him. I found him at a lfs that I usually dont go to and he was only $19.99. Maybe this deal was too good to be true.

Unfortunately some of these fish are cyanide collected. Not sure if that was the case here, but this accounts for many mysterious deaths.
I would suggest shopping around other LFS's and looking at the general health of their animals, ask them where they are collected from, see them eat before you bring them home, etc.
Good LFS's will allow you to put down a deposit to hold the fish for a week or so. This gives you a chance to really watch the fish's progression to captive life.
I know Bi-color's aren't very hardy
This is also true for a young system. Maybe check out a more durable Centropyge like a coral beauty.
Just some food for thought.

I was originally looking for a coral beuaty but this fish was less expensive and more colorful but now I think that I am going to stick with the more hardy coral beauty. Thanks

Unfortunately, cyanide is still being used in the Phillipines and other parts of the country. The sad part is that most of the fish collected don't even make it to the lfs. The ones that do usually perish rather quickly. Even the hardy ones may last a month or two, then die mysteriously. It is outrageous to know how these speciments are captured so carelessly.
I am with QS when it comes to getting tank raised specimens, or if you have a lfs that specializes in sw fish they seem to be pretty good. It doesn't hurt to ask the manager of the lfs where his fish are imported from.
I have heard that Bi-color Angels are very challenging to keep, even for the most experienced levels.

Mike

I have just recently experienced the same thing..... where did you buy your fish? was it a reputable dealer who quarentines, or was it the "big chain of stores that sells dog food too?
I bought a pearl scale angel Beatifull!! when i picked my dog food up yesterday, I usually dont buy my fish from these places but for 12.99 he had to come home with me. This morning I found him dead! What a shame, but thats the breaks when you buy from a large chain store whos primary concerne isnt about the health of their lowest grossing dpt.

Did you get yours as a Petco? I tried that route, and was not successful. Here in Phoenix, there is only 1 place I buy my fish: Aquarium Arts. Sometimes I buy online as well depending on how many fish I buy at once since shipping can be expensive. I find that saltwaterfish.com and liveaquaria.com are reasonable, and the specimens are very healthy to begin with.

Mike

Did you make sure he was eating befor your bought him? If not its ALWAYS a good idea to see him eat.

No, I didn't buy my Angel there , I have in the past, and had split results, my candy shrimp, and arrow crab are from there, and they have doubled in size since Ive had them! I bought my Angel at this new pet store right next to my house its called pet supplies & more. I went to pick up my dog food and walked by their fish dpt. , and saw my pearl scale!! Now, I was thinking...... "just go to the dog food isle, DON'T STOP!" He swam rite up to the glass, was a little sketchy, but to be expected with new arrivals. Funny thing is I couldn't find one person in the entire store who knew anything about the fish. ( what clued me in was the corals they ordered in and had them in with community fish!!!! I tried to save him, but he died in my hospital tank the next day.

Not unusual...............the fish can be difficult to keep. Usually they starve to death. They do stress easily.

Back
Top Bottom