Angels in a tank verses reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlarge

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's funny, whenever you see one angel while snorkeling/diving there is another swimming with it. Could one mimic this pair bonding in a tank, or is it strictly wild. I am led to believe they don't do this in a tank, as everyone always says to get just one.

You would need a Huge tank to house two angels. Also, You would have to do quite a bit of research on them to find a species that it might work with. It would seem to me if you had a HUGE like 500 Gallon tank and got 2 One Male and one Female (see that is why I said research I dunno if they Sex themselves like clowns or if they are already sexed like say mandarines.) That were really young and they could grow together it MIGHT work however my best guess is they would be the only 2 fish in your tank.

Doan

I have one large Angel, she barely tolerates my tang. I can't imagine another angel in there with her. I am worried about when I go to put my Heni Butterflies in after qt.
She is and they have to be the "boss" of the tank. Mixing 2 "bosses" together would be a disaster in a relatively small tank. Like Doan said you might pull it off in a 500 gallon, but I wouldn't even try it in my 210. Besides, most of them get to be 12" or bigger, a heck af a bioload.
Good luck :wink:

I was never going to try it, I'm realistic. I was only commenting that the behavior is so different in the wild.

Understood. I scuba dive and see them in pairs quite often too. In Cozumel on the shallower reefs such as Paradise or Chankanaab, you can see pairs of French Angels 18" in size.

It's a shame, I like species tanks and none of the saltwater species seem to be able to stand each other... :|

I know, I agonized over the same thing when I got started. I really wanted 2.
Couldn't find a pic in my files of a pair, but here is a solitary French I saw on Paradise Reef in Cozumel last fall. He was nearly 2 ft...huge

Back
Top Bottom