angry clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
about a month and a half ago i aquired a pair of true purcule clownfish and starting yesterday the female started to chase the male around the tank sometimes niping him is this something to be concerned about or is it just a faze in there relationship. im probably going to put the male in a QT net for today at least.

Sounds like normal dominance behavior to me.

It should stop eventually. The larger one is just trying to say, "Hey, I'm female! I'm the one that runs this house, so back off!" Then it should calm down soon.

Are you sure the male is the male and the female is the female. You do know that the sex is established over time right. I dont know the details. I do know that the larger will become the male and smaller the female.

Are you sure the male is the male and the female is the female. You do know that the sex is established over time right. I dint know the details. I do know that the larger will become the male and smaller the female.

I Heard it the other way around. The male is the smaller. At least thats the way I hearer it. At least for clowns!

If the male starts to show signs of distress then isolate him. If I read this right then you have a 10 gallon nano. Really too small for a pair of clowns. Maybe a 25 gallon, maybe!

Are there other inhabitants besides the clowns??
My clowns had always been the origionals-since the rebuild...and always got along.But as I've been gradually rebuilding and restocking w/other spiecies (sp?) they now never leave each others side.Perhaps a few tankmates of different a different kind...and as eze33 suggested...a bigger house.(if that dont work try a good marriage councelor...snik)

I'm pretty sure the female is the larger one. lol Harry!! As it's easier to say to get a larger tank than just up and purchasing one (I'm pretty sure none of us here are millionaires), that's what I would still suggest. What you can do is check out craigslist and see if anyone is trying to sell a larger tank for cheap and you can convert it. Especially down in Florida BlondeK, when I visit my aunt down in Miami there are always people looking to get rid of their saltwater aquariums on craigslist! HTH!

Back
Top Bottom