Annonme question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I will get griped at for this bt here we go. I have only 4 small 4 fish including 2 clowns in my 125 tank with 80 lbs of LR. I bought an annonme 2 weeks ago from a LFS that got it in by accident. Its a pink tip Florida annenome. He has been doing great for 2 weeks. Been eating great (krill). However he keeps moving a lot and makes it hard to feed him as he gets in weird spots to where I have to move rocks. There is a LOT of current in the tank but not as much light as I need. I bought him knowing I was upgrading my lights soon. I basically have a FO light system with 2 FO lights. I assume 80-100 watts of lights. I am getting a VHO system this week so this is why I bought him.
ANyway, do annenomes suck themselves up into and under rocks and such? He is really small today whereas he been very full and flowy. What do they do when they are dieing? I dont want him to die but if he looks like he is going to I will take him back to the LFS.
Also when they do die, what happens? I dont want him to die and also run the ammonia and levels up as well. I keep all levels at 0 and PH at 8.2. Temp at 80-82. Salanity 1.20 to 1.25.
Thanks

From what I've read (condy?)they move around quite a bit no matter what. Never move an anemone, don't worry about direct feeding it. That is why they aren't considered reef safe. They are also aggressive. As you know they require strong light. You'll need a good amount of light- roughly 5 -7 watts a gallon w/ VHO maybe MH.
What do they do when they are dieing?
You'll know, it will take longer, most times, than 2 weeks to die. The stress they endure usually doesn't show itself for a few weeks/months after.HTH

When an anemone dies it will look like melted icecream.. I know this sounds weird, but I have done alot of research and this is what they say. I feed my anemones silversides and mysis shrimp. It will shrink up and also move about the tank. I have never seen aggressive behavior with my condy. This anemone does not host clowns, if this is what you wanted it for then I suggest you take it back. What type of clowns do you have? Different clowns prefer to host in different anemones. I have a Clarkii and it origionally hosted in a LTA, but recently got it a RBTA, and she absolutely loves it!! RBTA's are beautiful and don't require MH lighting, so if you want your clown to host this would be a good choice. I got mine from West Coast Tropical Marine for $30 and it's about 8" in diameter when fully opened. I hear that RBTA's in your area are going for an awesome price, so check around. Honestly we are taking our Condy back to the LFS for store credit, since now I am love with the RBTA!! :)

Here is a pic I took the other day.

img_198261_0_edb59fd19c775a547d6c4224f5788aa5.jpg

Also taking the Condy back as I do not want to start a chemical warfare, not just cause I don't want it, don't want it or anything else to die!! :)

clown how did the sand drop go for you ?? curious !! also your welcome didnt get a change to say that yesterday before ya left !!

Well this morning it looked fine again. However it "pooches" its center out partly because it attached itself to a rock with corners and forms itself to it...hope this makes sense. I will try and attach a pic tonight. I just didnt know if when these little guys start dieing if they produce or release toxins into the water.
Also I have 2 false percs and no they have not taken to the annenome.
Im thinking I might take it back and get some sort of credit for it. I want something my clowns will take to the more I think about it. Also I have been feeding the annenome whole krill...any and all other thoughts are welcome. Getting an Ice Cap 660 this week!!

I have had Condys for a while now and can tell you a few things I've learned. They definitely need better than NO lights, at least 2x water volume. The reason the anemone is moving so much is probably because its looking for more light. My Condy has been with me for almost 2 years now. He moved around the tank a lot at first but then I upgraded to PC lighting and he hasn't moved since. I feed him a whole raw shrimp from the grocery store once a week. I have a Sebae clown that has taken up residence with the anemone for the entire time I've had him. I've been told that Condy anemones are "aggressive". The most aggressive mine has been was when the Sebae clown fed the condy one of my dead maroon clowns(I could see the poor little guy inside the anemones belly :cry: ) HTH

Karl

I still would like to know what signs I look for when the annenome is dieing? havent seen an answer to this yet?? i dont want this little guy to die for one, and secondly I dont want my other fish to suffer with an ammonia spike either! Have had really good success with my tank and am very protective of it...
THANKS

I htought it did this when it slept and also when it eats?? I assume you mean it does this on a consistant basis and stays that way?? Plus does it quit eating? Its eating well so far.....

Back
Top Bottom