Anomone bleeched

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought some elements to dose with from the LFS. About three days after the second dose ( 2 weeks apart ) I noticed it expelled a huge amount of brown stuff ( from researching, it's the part that does the photosynthesis) now my beautiful neon pink rose anemone it's completely white. Needless to say I have not dosed again. Is there a chance for it to recover its beautiful color?

I think it was the strontium.

looking thru some of your old post, it seems like you do not have a stable water conditions, plus you state you are just using the standard fish lights that came with your tank. So I do not think you have the right tank conditions or lighting to keep a healthy nem, so your chances of saving it are pretty slim. I doubt it was the strontium, but with that said wc is all your need for 99% of new set ups, the money spent on additives should be spent on salt and wc. I have 6 nems and the oldest is around 8 years old, a 125 and nothing but water changes ever, basic are your friend.

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

Thank you for your advice ! As per my water tests, everything is fine. However I'll take a sample to the LFS just in case. I think I'll be able to recover the anemone,. It still comes out every day, clown fish still host, and its eating the small shrimp. Thanks again !

Have you upgraded your lights yet? I don't think or will recover until that happens. Just out of curiosity how often do you test your water? If your params are stable that will help :) also, I have read articles that say that a completely bleached nem cannot regenerate its own zooxanthallae by itself if it is fully expelled and that if you introduce another of the same species they can share. Not that I would suggest you getting another one with out the right lights tho but its a theory. Has anyone else heard that before?

Back
Top Bottom