Another algea question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has been set up for about 4 months now and i never really had a big problem with algea. I had a little bit of a bloom b/c of using tap water for the initial fill up and ever since then I have been using RO water for fill ups and top offs.
I recently got new PC lights for my tank. They have been running for a couple of weeks now and almost my entire sand bed is brown and i am getting lots of hair algea on the sand as well. I have noticed some cyano on my rocks and i think even a little on my sand. Im pretty sure its the huge increase in lighting that is causing it. I have reduced the running time from 12 hrs to 9 and am feeding sparingly. Now, is it just sit and wait time? Or is there anything else i could be doing to clear it up.
I just bought a few cerrith and astrea snails. That brings my total snail count to about 18 I thin k and I also have a handfull of blue legg hermits as well as an emerald crab. Any suggestions?

My tank went through and still goes through periodic algae blooms and its been over a year since I set up. Most often they go away on their own. The lighting change probably caused your latest bloom. I would check phosphates and nitrates to be sure they're not the culprit.
I try to keep a good variety of hermits and snails, different critters may find different algaes tasty. Some of my crabs I've have never seen touch any algae.

Back
Top Bottom