another cyano question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gotnoidea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i've followed all the posts on cyano questions and it appears a contentious issue... don't want to raise any further hackles but this is my situation:-

nitrate 2.5
phosphate 0.07
temp 80

all other water parameters are within norms.

i've got a heater (winter here in Oz) keeping temp at 80 & i've been doing 10% water changes every 2nd day. i have 2 PH's with wave cone heads working 24/7. i feed the fish every 2nd day & the tank equip is the best I could get. Still, I've got the cyano problem from hell.

i'd appreciate any new ideas you may have.....

(the heater is the newest add on - just 2 days old - prev water temp would vary maybe 4 degrees fahrenheit over a day)

thanks

cyano has more causes than just 'trate and 'phate. You can be heavily skimmed, RO water, both at 0 and minimal lighting and still get cyano. More than likely because it isn't the same bacteria in every instance, just similar appearing. And so it will need a different remedy for each cause. I underskim, do 12 hour lighting, feed daily, use chaeto in my sump, RO filter, and haven't done a water change in months. I have no cyano. Several months ago, same setup but monthly water changes and I had an outbreak that I killed with magic white powder. I have no measurable bad stuff in my water now, and had none then. go figure.

You have PO4 so that is a food source for cyno. Have you checked you ro/di top off water for PO4? You may need to add a 2nd DI housing to help filter out all PO4. I run 2 on my unit and it helps.
I have a phosban reactor and it has worked out well for me. There not much $$ and come with the first batch of phosban.

Any sign on PO4 is enough to help algaes and cyno to grow. So if your showing .07 there is a lot more becasue the cyno is using it to live abd you only see whet its not using.

Back
Top Bottom