Another electrical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it necessary to have "surge protected" power bars or can just a overload protected power bar be used? I can't see any equipment being affected with any potential electrical surges but I may be way off here. It just saves me from buying something else...

The item that is most 'recommended' is a GFI outlet. The GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt) outlet is what is required in bathrooms. It will disconnect or interrupt the power if it detects and electrical short.

c-bass said:
Is it necessary to have "surge protected" power bars or can just a overload protected power bar be used? I can't see any equipment being affected with any potential electrical surges but I may be way off here. It just saves me from buying something else...

Yea, most everything for aquaria is pretty tolerant of electrical surges, at least the kind a surge protector can help with.

almost all lights are powered by some form of industrial ballast, which is designed to take poor power in stride. Magnetic induction pumps, powerheads and filters all rely on a fulcuating magnetic field to spin the impeller, so a little surge won't do anything there.

heaters, well, it's just a long wire that gets hot wound around a ceramic core. I guess a big surge might cause it to burn out, but i doubt it.

Only thing I'm concerned about and have protected is the computer that regulates my CO2 system. anything computerized should deff. have surge protection!

Instead of buying expensive power bars (multi strips) with surge protection built in, you can buy a single surge protector adapter that goes between your first multi-strip and the wall outlet. It will protect everything plugged into it, including chained strips.

hmm - home depot won't let me link to it, but they have a 6 outlet surge thingy for $7, then you plug as many cheapo multi-strips into it as you need (up to 1200 watts total)

IMHO what you should consider is definitely have a GFI outlet installed to replace the standard receptacle. This is a good idea and now required in all new construction where there is a risk of electrical shock (bathrooms and kitchens). I would definitely also use a surge protector and not just a power strip. Here are some reasons why. GFI: obviously with the danger of water and electricity, this is a good idea to prevent accidental electrocution (especially with saltwater). It basically trips the circuit before it can return to ground, stopping a short circuit (buy a good one - it is worth the insurance). Also a good idea, is to create a drip loop for all of electrical cords if the outlet is below the tank. A power strip is basically just a bunch of outlets with a fuse protection. However, this will not protect against spikes and dips in the electrical power. If for some reason, one of your electrical devices fail and the circuit starts to draw more current that the strip (usually rated for 15-20 A), this will cause the fuse to burn out and shut the power down. Note that the GFI protects for accidental electrocution and is not a circuit protection device. A "good" surge protector will have a capacitor and the circuitry to "clamp" and spikes and make up the dips in normal electrical fluctuations. This in addition to being fused. Thus it smoothes the power out for your devices. Now do you really need it? It is recommended. Anything that uses an electrical coil for power generation (even magnetic induction motors and the like) is susceptible to damage from spikes. While they may be tolerant to minor fluctuations, they are not protected from a spike. A spike will cause the coil to overheat and over time, will cause premature failure of the motor. Or if large enough, will burn out the coil immediately. So the question in my mind is that here you have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars in setting up your pride and joy, now would you skimp on buying a $30 (typical price for a good one) surge protector to protect your investment? Think of it as insurance. You may never have a serious spike, buy are you willing to bet your system on it? Hope this lengthy note helps 8)

Thanks for the responses. I was planning on a GFCI, it will be installed today. I just bought a nice heavy duty power bar yesterday and realized that it wan't surge protected. I will take it back... I spent just as much on it as I would have on a surge protector so I will just exchange it for one. I use surge protectors on my computers but didn't think it would matter on a tank....but your rationale makes sense, Sam. BTW, all power bars say "DON'T USE FOR AQUARIUMS," but I don't imagine there are any made specifically for aquariums. Do I just ignore this and relax cuz my GFCI has got me covered. I imagine it's just one of those mandatory statements to remove manufacturers liability in case of accident.... Right?

You got it. They are looking for the liabillity protection in case you accidentally got electrocuted while using the product. The GFI will protect you from that. It's funny I was in the HD the other day and I aked about a GFI extension, they had one, for about $40.00. After picking my jaw up off of the floor, I told the guy that I think I will make my own. He then started about being UL listed, blah, blah, blah. Anyway getting back to you, yes with what you have you should be set. Remember the drip loop, if your outlet is below the tank. 8)

I was thinking that I would make a drip loop AND use some clear plastic and duct tape the plastic to the top and sides of the wall around the outlet for added protection. The outlet is directly behind and below the tank.

Keep in mind that you might mess up your wall. Also remember if the GFI trips, you need to push the reset button, so be sure you have access to it. Other than that, anything you do that will help keep water away from the outlet is a good thing. :D

It's a rental.... not worried about the wall really.... what a nice tenant I am hey? Ya, I am going to keep the bottom open for access to the outlet. Thanks for the help sam.

Back
Top Bottom