Another lighting question ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got my new fixture this weekend and will be setting it up today. Its a 492 watt PC / metal halide combo with lunar lights.

My question being, do you typically ( I have no coral in there at the moment) leave the PC and Metal Halides on for the typical lighting peroid? ( I ususally have mine on from about 10:30am - 8:30pm) and then have the lunar lights on? Or do you have one or the other ( PC or MH) on longer or shorter amount of time? I know MH can run warm.

It seems like I will probably have to get a few more timers LOL

Also since I got it used, the plastic over one of the PC bulbs is cracked. Do I need to replace this? if So whats the best way to? I havent seen any replacement covers online.

Thanks for the help, I'm excited to set it up ;)
Pictures to follow when I get the lights on!

You can do either way really. It might be best, especially at first, to do PC on first, then MH on, then MH off, then PC off. I know that's how a lot of people on here do theirs.

As far as the crack goes, if you think water can get into it I would look into replacing it. If it's pretty far away from the water I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Congrats on the light upgrade :)

I agree with Lindsay. I used to run my lights 30 mins apart, but I get a slight power outtage about once a month and just ended up putting them on the same time. From the lighting I have seen, the LED stay on al the time and are canceled out by the other lights.
Hmmm, you get a lot of evaporation, so I (me personally) would replace the cover. If you can't find one for sale, get a shop around you to custom fit/cut one for you...But remember, I generally err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom