Another Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have the 54 gallon bow front corner unit from AGA. We currently have the stock lights (2 20 watt white florescents) that came with the tank and are considering upgrading. Our reason for wanting to upgrade is to bring out more color in our live rock.

We are looking at the Coralife 24" Auqalight w/ moon lights on Captivereefs.com (item number LT-ES53402 if you do a search).

Can anyone tell us what you think of this?

DJ

PS - While I'm already placing an order... can anyone suggest a food for Clown fish since those will be our first fish and I can get the food with my light order from Captivereefs?

How many watts total without the moonlights? How long is the long part of the tank? You will need 160watts or more if you want live rock and corals. Coralife is a good brand.

Our tank is 24" at the longest part (it is a triangle).

Here is the decription for the captivereefs website. All I see about watt is the "65" what does the 10K mean?:

LT-ES53402
24" Lunar Aqualight (1)10K and (1) Actinic 65 Watt Power Compact bulbs with (2) Blue Moon Glow LED Lights, Features a sleek black aluminum housing with built in electronic ballast,built in fans,a highly polished reflector, acrylic lens cover and two on/off switchs and sepreate switch for Moonlights. 24" long x 2-5/8" tall and 7-1/4" deep.

The lunar aqualight has (2) 65 watt power compact bulbs. One is actinic blue and the other is 10K daylight. The 10K just states the measured light spectrum of the light bulb. This light will work good for live rock and some basic corals like mushrooms and other softies.

Omega 1 marine flake is a good starter food for clown fish. You can also soak the food in selcon to help deliver the essential fatty acids required by marine fish.

Hope that helps, if not you can shoot me a PM with any questions! :D

Go with Darin's suggestion. My clowns (A. percula) eat anything that goes in the tank except for nori.

Darin
I also sent you a PM about this:
I was looking at the box that came with my set up today. Turns out my lightBULBS are 24", but my cover unit is actually 29 1/4 inches. The original box says "30 inch twin tube fluorescent strip light". What size should I order from captive reefs? I was originally looking at 24" (item # LT-ES53402 description: 24" Coralife Lunar Aqualight Moonlight Hood 2 x 65 watt bulbs. Built in fans and 2 Lunar Moonlights in a sleek black hood ) but now I think they will be too short for the tank. I wish you had 30" in the same lights, but the next size up I see is 36". What do you think? I want them to look nice, like they fit with the tank.

DJ

I can special order you a 30" lunar aqualight. I sent you a PM with the details.

Back
Top Bottom