Another lighting question of course

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 81 g tank, I am setting up for a reef. Dimension are 53LX24HX14W I am want to use a MH system. I have heard 3-5 watts per gallon is good? what is best for a Reef, optimal?

WPG is not a real good measure for a reef tank. A 5ft tank is somewhat different. A MH light normally covers 2ft of area. Most people get 2 MH's for a 4ft tank. I almost bought a 5ft 100 gal and plannined on using my 4ft fixture(2x250 MH + 2x54 T5). I know a guy that uses 2x400MH w/ VHO actinic on a 125 and it looks nice. A 2x250 is about all I can handle on my 75 gal due to the heat it generates.

5 WPG should cover anything you may want in there, including clams. I have a 120, and I am at 4.67 WPG and my clams are doing fine. I have been told that it's not just the WPG, but how well the light penetrates into the water, which I believe.

ellisz said:
I almost bought a 5ft 100 gal and plannined on using my 4ft fixture(2x250 MH + 2x54 T5). .

SO how does that work you run the MH during the day and the T5 at night. And BTW what is a T5 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom