Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Another Mantis!

Well our tank has been snapping and popping relentlessly, and we were peeking around trying to see what was making all the extra ruckus besides out pistol shrimp.

And what do you know, a colorful 2" mantis shrimp (I think it looks like a peacock mantis ) peeked out at us from a little piece of LR (one that I neglected to FW dip)

I reached in and grabbed the LR hoping I would not get snapped on my hand, and as I got the rock almost out, the shrimp panicked and fled the rock !

Fortunately the shrimp scooted to the corner of the tank!! Jeanene tossed me a 5" net and I was able to trap it in the net and swooooop it over to the 10g "misbehaving crab" tank.

So now he's peeking at me from under a rock with those mega-beady eyes and planning to blow the glass out of the wimpy 10G.

I spose now I have to get a little acrylic tank for this dangerous dude.... 10G glass is pretty wimpy, man.

snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to smokiums
I have mantis shrimp of my own. How did the fw water dipping work for you? I'm thinking of giving a shot, but I heard using carbonated sw was perferrable.

Let me know.

smokiums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The little bitty piece of LR that I chose NOT to dip several weeks ago when investigating snapping sounds, , turned out to be the home of my shrimp.

The FW dip on my larger rocks made inverts shoot out like nobody's business. However I think that if I were to do it again esp if there was sensitive coral involved I would do a carbonated SW dip as reefrunner69 has suggested

If I did it I would mix SW to 4 times over 1.025 and then gently add seltzer to make it 1.025 or 1.026

That would make it SUPA FIZZY and really drive them out.

Just my 2cents.
snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hi snapcrackler, Is this your second mantis shrimp? What did you do with the first one? Didn't you see the first one right away in your live rock?
An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com